Graphical glitches with the Gecko engine

Guest stodge

Guest stodge

This is a tough one to describe, and I'm probably the only one suffering but here goes.

Any application that uses the Gecko engine, so for example, Mozilla, Galeon, Phoenix etc., suffers graphical glitches when I scroll a page using the mouse or keyboard. For example, if I'm viewing a page of text and move the scroll-bar down, when I stop, the text on the page isn't drawn correctly. I figured the best way to explain this would be to include a link to a picture.

It doesn't happen with all text viewed with the Gecko engine, or with all fonts. I haven't narrowed it down to one particular font, but it might be a side of using anti-aliased fonts in X. I really don't know. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

So far I've comfirmed this under KDE, IceWM and Fluxbox window managers on my PC.

Mandrake 9.1

P3-700

Abit BH6

256Mb

GeForce 2 GTS @ AGPX2

1024x768@24bit

Driver Version: 1.0-3123

Driver Release Date: September 10, 2002

Model: GeForce2 GTS

IRQ: 7

Video BIOS: 02.15.01.07.00

Card Type: AGP

I tried the more recent drivers, but they reduce my graphical performance in X by about 75%, so I stuck with the older ones.

Thanks

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment...p?postid=117667

I have the same problem with two different graphics cards and it is annoying. Wind up hitting the refresh button a lot. The problem exists in mandrake, redhat, knoppix and suse so I agree that it's something in the gecko engine. If anyone knows of a solution, I'd be grateful. With me, the fonts seem to get squished on certain lines when I scroll. It's still readable, but it is annoying.

I've noticed something similar in Gentoo (and also when I was using Mandrake 9.1). I've found that highlighting the text will straighten out the issue. I haven't found a way to make it _not_ occur, however.

Guest stodge

Yeah refresh or highlighting the text fixes it until I scroll again. At least I'm not the only one who suffers! I posted this on NVidia's forums just in case, but noone replied so I guess we're stuck for now.

Thanks

i'm glad you brought this up stodge. i'm sort of complacent, so i just learned to deal with it. maybe we'll (or, you'll) find a fix or get someone at mozilla to fix it :)

Guest stodge

Yeah I got complacent too, but then I got sick of looking at Opera's screwed up fonts and dealing with it's crashes too often. I doubt I'll find a solution simply because there seem to be so many Mozilla mailing lists etc, but I'll see what I can do. If anyone else can devote some time to this, I would sure appreciate it!

Cheers

Guest stodge

Maybe the problem is in the Freetype library if Gecko uses that, rather than in Gecko itself. Wonder what version of Freetype (if any) Gecko uses.

OK. I've been fiddling with this all morning and I think I've got some results. First, here's a link which gives some clues:

link here

Sorry for the long url. The edit refernced above is for galeon and I haven't tried it. You dont need to do it in mozilla. Here's what I did and it fixed the problem:

1. Open mozilla and go to Edit>Preferences>Appearance>Fonts;

2. In the bottom of the window under Display resolution select 96 dpi, not system settings which is the default;

3. This will make your fonts render smaller in all liklihood. Reset set your fonts to accomodate your preferences. With a 1280x1024 resolution I have the minimum font size set to 13 and the "Allow Documents to use other fonts" unchecked.

So far it seems to be working. I think the edit in the above url is necessary for galeon because it doesn't have a "display resolution" option.

Haven't had a lot of time to check it and have to run now. Would appreciate it if someone else would give it a try and report.

link edited by Ixthusdan

Guest stodge

Ah wait a minute. I forgot to restart Mozilla! I also added the option to the preferences file for Galeon and that seems to have fixed it; I thikn both Mozilla and Galeon work now! I'll test some more though.

Thanks for finding that!