gentoo, /sbin/rc, and /var/lib/init.d/softlevel

ok, after a recent emerge -u world i rebooted and ran into an error message, in which i was told there was an error in /sbin/rc on line 256, because /var/lib/init.d/softlevel does not exist.

i know why ;-) because /var is a seperate partition on my machine, which at the point the error comes up (right after init 2.84) that partition has yet to be mounted. now, i have a "fix", sort of...

i copied all the files in /var to /var2, rebooted, stuck in the gentoo livecd, mount my root partition, deleted the /var directory (which at this point has nothing in it since i have yet to mount the partition which var resides in-/dev/hda8) and moved (renamed) /var2 to /var, so they system boots fine again...but this leaves my /var partition unused. i'd like to set it back up the way it was, but i'm not sure how to get /dev/hda8 mounted to /var before the error comes up during the boot process.

or would it be best to try using partition magic to move the partition i use for /var to a point where i could combine it with my root partition? (root is at /dev/hda6, followed by /usr at /dev/hda7, and then /var at /dev/hda8)

hope everyone can understand all that hehehe

only less someone knows a quick fix for this, don't bother posting, as i've decided to redo my system-i wanted to redesign my partition setup anyways-plus gnome was a bit fubar from upgrading to 2.3.2 then downgrading back to 2.2.1