Synchronizing with Windows Mobile 5+: 2008 Spring

adamw

This is already up on several news sites, but I thought it'd be good to have it here too. I've been working on making synchronization of Windows Mobile 5, 6 and 6.1 devices really easy with 2008 Spring.

There's a video of the process at www.youtube.com and instructions for the bold who are on 2008 Spring pre-releases already at wiki.mandriva.com.

Adam, Thanks for the excellent demo. I hope you don't mind me asking a question... I have been synching my Palm PDA with evolution via gnome-pilot for some while, and from my experience synching between more than two devices (eg, a PDA and two desktops) often leaves a mess of duplicate appointments. This usually happens when you sync the mobile device with desktop 1 at home, and then with desktop 2 at work, ie when you cannot put two desktops in the same group. I am wondering if this issue has been resolved in the kitchensync/multisync. By the way you did not mention Palms in you demo :D

Multiple devices and desktops works fine with opensync, due to the way it's engineered. I've tested a group containing my WM6 test device, a Nokia phone, KDE and Evolution, and this four-way sync works fine. I believe it would work correctly with your example case, too.

Palm isn't mentioned simply as I don't have a Palm test device so I cannot be confident that the Palm support in OpenSync works, or document the exact procedure :(. I'll try and get hold of a test device, but if I can't, you'll have to just do it yourself; it shouldn't be too hard, install the appropriate libopensync-plugin-* packages, and kdepim-kitchensync, and try it.

If anyone's got an old Palm device gathering dust that they wouldn't mind me putting to a good use :), let me know. I think I would need it to be a USB-connected one, but other than that, anything should do.