XFCE panels not loading [solved]

edwardp

I tried to install Xfce on system 1, only to find it has become junk. There is now a mix of version 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 files, version number issues and when logging in, the desktop background and icons are there, but no panels.

If I attempt to remove xfce-related packages one-by-one, I will eventually get to one that wants to remove most of the packages required for Gnome.

I had been directed to enable the backports repository and that is where I think the problem lies. Some files came from backports while others came from contrib. I would like to be able to remove all of the xfce-related packages while leaving everything for Gnome intact, but I'm not sure this is possible.

I would appreciate any and all assistance to fix this problem, without having to resort to reinstalling Mandriva all over again.

Thank you.

Ed

Edited by edwardp

I -think- I may have fixed this. I was able to remove all xfce-related packages except for three. These three packages that, if removed normally, would also remove some Gnome packages.

Afterwards, I used the

rpm -e --nodeps name_of_package

command to remove only those remaining three packages and everything seems stable.

Right-click desktop, select: Run Program

Type: xfce4-panel [OK]

Panels loaded and all is well. :)

Also, ensure that the checkbox to save the session is checked when exiting/logging out, so the panels will load in at the next session.

Edited by edwardp