Trouble with pdf-generator, samba and windows

Guest Jimathy

Guest Jimathy

Hi all,

Nice forum you got here.

My story so far;

I have installed Mandrake 9.1 on a retired server here at work (a PIII500, 1Gb RAM). I've managed to to join it our Windows Domain and have created a couple of shared directories using Samba. But I'm having a bit of a headache trying to use the pdf-generator.

When I try to print to the pdf-generator a file called 'smbprn.000010.******' appears in the /var/tmp directory but thats it, after that there's no pdf output in my user directory. I've been scratching my head on this for about a fortnight now. The driver I'm using on the windows side is the HP LaserJet 5P/5MP PostScript driver.

Heres my the bare essentials of my smb.conf file.

[global]

workgroup = PCA

server string = Samba Server %v

printcap name = cups

load printers = yes

printing = cups

printer admin = @adm jim

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

max log size = 50

map to guest = bad user

security = domain

password server = *

encrypt passwords = yes

smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

dns proxy = no

[homes]

comment = Home Directories

browseable = no

writable = yes

[printers]

comment = All Printers

path = /var/spool/samba

browseable = no

guest ok = yes

writable = no

printable = yes

create mode = 0700

[print$]

path = /var/lib/samba/printers

browseable = yes

read only = yes

write list = @adm root

guest ok = yes

[pdf-generator]

path = /var/tmp

guest ok = No

printable = Yes

comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)

print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u //%L/%u %m %I "%J" &

[Drivers]

comment = Device drivers for Computer Hardware

path = /disk2/drivers

public = yes

writable = yes

printable = no

[software]

comment = Downloaded Software

path = /disk2/software

public = yes

writable = yes

printable = no

Note: Making myself a printer admin was the only way I could get rid of the message “access denied, unable to connect” when trying to view the print queue. Should it really matter if users can see the queue or not?

A little history on my setup.

My main server is a Microsoft (sorry to swear in my first post) Small Business Server 2000, which is our primary domain controller. I've since joined the mandrake server to the domain editing the smb.conf file thus;

workgroup = PCA

security = domain

password server = *

encrypt passwords = yes

then

root# smbpasswd -j DOM -r DOMPDC -UAdministrator%password

which has worked out ok. I've added only myself as a samba and unix user at the moment and can see directory shares over the network and read/write to them.

It just feels like I've come to a brick wall with the pdf-generator. So am I p***ing in the wind or should I be able to get it to work?

Help appreciated.

I use the pdf generator all the time without worries.

I'm not entirely sure what is causing your problem... are you trying to generate the pdf locally or via the network?

Note: Making myself a printer admin was the only way I could get rid of the message “access denied, unable to connect” when trying to view the print queue. Should it really matter if users can see the queue or not?

You could try creating a user group named printer (or whatever) and give that group the necessary privileges and then add yourself or whoever to it.

You should get the pdf generator working, I had some problems setting up mine, but my memory is a bit rusty of the whole affair :roll:

Guest Jimathy

I'm trying to print to the shared pdf-generator printer over the network from a Win2k workstation.

I'm not really sure where I should be looking for the pdf output?

I know that a postscript file gets as far as /var/tmp then gets deleted but after that I'm a bit stumped.

I have discovered is if I take myself out of

printer admin =

I get the message access denied unable to connect when trying to view the print queue, but when I submit a print job to the pdf-generator a postscript file still makes it to /var/tmp. So I'm guessing that it just means that users who aren't printer admins just won't be able to fiddle about with the queue but are still able to submit jobs to it.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a bit of a noob;)

[pdf-generator]

path = /var/tmp

guest ok = No

printable = Yes

comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)

#print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf file path win_path recipient IP doc_name &

print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u //%L/%u %m %I "%J" &

Guest Jimathy

After going round in many circles I can only conclude that the file with a name of smbprn.******.***** that is made by the pdf-generator printer from the client and placed in /var/tmp doesn't actually have the script run on it when its placed there.

I can run the print-pdf script manually and can run the ps2pdf command on a postscript file manually.

I'm all out of ideas on this.