Mounting floppy in 9.1

Guest rhacuna

Guest stodge

I disabled supermount and rebooted and the floppy works now. But I want to re-enable supermount for the CDRoms and not the floppy so I'll try that next.

Did you run:

# mkfs -t msdos /dev/fd0 1440

and if so, what were the error messages?

Windows is more forgiving of faulty floppy drives than linux in my experience. I started noticing a problem with my drive when boot floppies would intermitently not work. Had some problems in windows but it would generally write to the drive. The problem with floppies is you really don't use them enough to catch an intermitent data corruption issue in windows. Linux will just refuse to work with a dodgey floppy drive. Thoroughly cleaning the drive with compressed air did the trick for me for a while but I wound up replacing the drive ultimately. Heck, I had the same floppy drive in successive builds since 1995 so I guess I got my moneys worth out of it.

Try mounting the floppy somewhere other than /mnt/floppy if you have disabled supermount. I don't know why this is the case but if I try to mount a floppy disk at /mnt/floppy without using supermount it always creates problems. Instead I create a directory called /mycomputer (mmm wonder where I got that from?) and mount my floppy as /mycomputer/floppy . Of course I also use autofs which is also far from perfect but seems to cause less problems than supermount.

this write a new line in /etc/fstab for the floppy, like this:

" /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-15,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0 "

Try " /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy noauto ...

I think the error described in the first message results from the mount command trying to mount the floppy drive when there is no disk inserted. The "auto" option tells mount to mount the filesystem at startup. The noauto in ... unhide,noauto,ioch... refers to converting CRLF characters at the end of each text file line, if I am reading the mount manpage correctly. There is a discussion of autofs in the OldDocs part of this website, I believe.

Hope it helps