serial keyboard and mouse

Guest BabaG

Guest BabaG

thinking ahead here. i did a test a while back and had a problem with 2008. was just playing but will probably be doing a full update of my current desktop system from 2007.1 to 2008.1 when it comes out.

being that i have an older system, i'm concerned about my serial mouse and keyboard. mandriva is the ony distro, maybe except suse, that has correctly detected all of my hardware in a seamless and painless way. when i played with 2008, however, i ran into the problem i've had with most other distros, in that it did not seem to automatically detect my serial devices. these are older devices, the form factor of which i very much like, but which are now discontinued.

will the serial mouse and keyboard be a problem when i update to 2008.1? if the detection is not automatic, how do i get things to work? i'm guessing it's hard to do if one's system doesn't know there's a keyboard or mouse attached.

thanks,

BabaG