Recent install problem.

Guest billforce

Guest billforce

I recently installed Mandrake on a clean partition on a new Hard Drive.

System (lilo) O.K., system starts to boot but stalls at "CHECKING FILE SYSTEMS". If I leave it for several minutes it will boot to the desktop O.K......same thing on a re-boot, works O.K. but could roll a cigarette and smoke it before it will load.

New AMD 2000+. Abit motherboard 256 DDR ram, ATI 32 mb video, NEW Com 21 cable modem....when the systen hangs, the cable modem led's flash.

I have Win XP Pro on another partition and all is well?

Love the system with Mozilla, but it takes forever to load.

What file system are you using(eg. ext2, ext3, reiserfs)? I assume it's ext2 unless you specified otherwise during the install. Usually that message will come up after a hard shutdown on reboot. It gives you about 5 seconds to answer whether or not you wnat the file system checked. Next time the message comes up press "y" immediately and let the system check the filesystem. If you are using ext2, avoid hard shutdowns at all costs to avoid this message.

Do you leave the cable moden on when you reboot?

My system takes a little longer to boot past eth0 if I turn off the cable modem. Just a few moments but its noticable.

Mozilla/netscape are two of the larger browsers out there so they take a little longer to load and use. Opera is a lean and fast browser. There are others even faster.

How are your file systems setup?