XMMS disappears when dragging

shoegoo

Ok this is a really weird problem, but whenever I start up XMMS it starts almost all the way off the screen, and when I try to drag it, it just disappears until I right click on the taskerbar and go to move XMMS. I am using gnome, and everything is at its latest release. I have tried reinstalling XMMS from other rpm's and even compiling it from source and the same problem happens. It also seems to happen with gkrellm. XMMS also won't play continuously. After a song finishes it simply stops. Any help would be great, thanks.

If you right-click on the top of XMMS you will see a menu. Go to Options/Preferences. Make sure "Save window positions" is enabled and check the value for "Snap windows at ? pixels". Mine is set to 10 pixels. If this value is too high, you won't be able to place the XMMS window where you want to

Go back to Options and make sure the "No playlist advance" option is unchecked. If this is checked, XMMS will play one song then stop.

• 2 months later...

The problem seems to be somehow gnome related because it doesnt occur in KDE. I cant figure out why it does it. Most of the time when I start xmms it isnt on the screen so I have to right click on it in the window list and select move, i can hen move it on the screen. The playlist and EQ are also no where to be seen. Sometimes if I play witht he buttons I can get them to appear, but when I drag them they jump around a little and disappear againu, just like xmms.

it's metacity ;-)

shoegoo: when you use xmms, do you usually close it yourself or leave it open until you shut down gnome? does it close with any errors? if it's constantly closing abnormally it won't save it's position correctly, if at all. try putting it where you want it and closing it out by pressing the X in the upper right corner.

if that doesn't fix it, well, we'll work on coming up with new ideas :)

I am using gnome, and everything is at its latest release
How? Garnome? Tar by tarball? 2.3.3?

I know that 2.3.3 will (finally) not show gkrellm in the panel, and this probably has something to do with it. Gnome is a bear to compile without ending up with a ton of bugs, but especially when it's a devel version. It's expected unfortunately. You could look in gconf-editor in metacity and panel for some kind of related setting that might help.

latest from texstar/mandrake could mean a lot of things. If you rt-click the gnome-panel and select about panels it'll tell you what version. Either way it's not the default and the default is the only way to be stable, or at least somewhat stable for gnome. Anything else with gnome is just hoping that 'someone' knew exactly what they were doing with every i and every t. If you're not running 2.3.3 then I don't think what I mentioned above is the prob. Anything other than the default is experimental and possibly non-stable. :wink: