Cannot configure networking, please help

Guest jano

Guest jano

Hi.

I installed mandrake 9.1 yesterday here at work, and I haven't been able to get the network to work properly. I can ping a computer that's in the same subnet by it's IP, and can ping the gateway and dns servers, and if I try pinging www.yahoo.com it resolves the name (but pinging doesn't work though), and if I put a URL on mozilla or konqueror it doesn't resolve it.

I tried using the mandrake control center and linuxconf to set the network parameters. We use domain logons here, so I set the following on smb.conf:

encrypt passwords = yes

security = domain

workgroup = <name of the domain>

password server = *

I checked /etc/resolv.conf and the dns servers are listed, although 127.0.0.1 is also listed as a nameserver, is this normal? I tried editing it out but it gets put back at restart.

If I open LinNeighborhood I can see the other computers.

Forgot to add, it's with fixed IP.

Any ideas of something I might be mising?

Thanks in advance!

Guest jano

Thanks for your reply.

I setup the firewall in webmin, and I also did some other things: I added the WINS server in smb.conf and uncommented the main things about winbind, and I disabled ACPI (which wasn't loading properly anyway, it said 'Failed' when starting).

Now, when I start mandrake, the logon box is filled with the domain users! (all of them, about 700 or so), but when I try to logon with my user, the dialog shakes. I guess this means the password is wrong, which it isn't. I had done the smbpasswd -a <user> and entered the password, and I have the 'Encrypted passwords' setting set to yes, so I don't know what the problem could be. When I do a "wbinfo -a userlogin%userpass", I get a NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO error, saying it could not authenticate me. Anyone knows what this could be? Please help. Everyone at the office who saw mandrake was pretty excited with it, but I need to get it to access the domain.

Thanks for any help!

PS: about the problem of not being able to access the internet, I think I need to login to the domain first, I have the same problem in windows when my account gets locked

Guest jano

Nope, we don't use a proxy (at least there isn't one configured in internet explorer and everything works fine in windows).

It seems I just need to be able to logon to the domain and the network should work, but as I said, I get a wrong password (shaky dialog) when I try to login with my user. I tried another user and the same thing happened.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Guest jano

Ok, some improvements. I configured pam, adding the template homedir, obey pam restr. and template shell parameters, and replacing the system-auth file in /etc/pam.d with the winbind one. After that, and creating the folder /home/<DOMAINNAME> and chmodding it 777, I didn't get the shaky login dialog, it started to login! BUT, it got stuck in the KDE splash, at the second icon (init. system services) for about a minute, and then it disappeared, and after about 2 minutes I got the desktop, but it would just hang for about a minute every so often (for example, when I right clicked a program shortcut in the taskbar), and I could still not access the internet... :(

This is getting soooo frustrating... :cry:

Any ideas? Please?

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me (I can tell you're good) but let's try some basic network troubleshooting for future newbies having similar problems:

Layer 1: The cables/connections are good?

Layer 2: The switch can see your MAC address?

Layer 3: IP

You can't ping Yahoo? Usually the only reason you wouldn't be able to ping is if the firewall wouldn't let you (idealy) or if your machine you're trying to ping from has the wrong subnet mask. But you can get the name resolved? Sounds like your default gateway is correct, as are your dns settings. Try doing a "traceroute www.yahoo.com" assuming "nslookup www.yahoo.com" returns yahoo's IP.

[root@pc root]#nslookup www.yahoo.com

Server:  your.router.com

Address:  192.168.0.1

Name:    www.yahoo.com

Address:  64.64.64.64

[root@pc root]#traceroute 64.64.64.64

Tracing route to www.yahoo.com [64.64.64.64]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   <10 ms   <10 ms   <10 ms  your.router.com [192.168.0.1]

2   <10 ms   <10 ms   <10 ms  some.router.com [193.512.999.3]

3    16 ms    15 ms    31 ms  yahoo.router.com [64.64.1.1]

4    16 ms    47 ms    31 ms  www.yahoo.com [64.64.64.64]

Trace complete.

Any luck?

OK - on to the upper layers. Your network is running <shudder> WINS servers, huh? Plus you have Authentication servers? Ouch, the bigger the network, the more to go through...

So, any login fails, eh? Sounds like the authentication server doesn't like that BOX, not the logins themselves. Is it set to accept that client?

Now with jano's problem: he has finally got it to log in, but still can't access the internet. My best guess is either trouble with the Authorization (different from authentication) server, or a firewall, not liking this particular box.

Jano - I'm thinking real hard, buddy. I'm asking around the office, too. I'll get back here with any ideas. My friend says check duplex settings. Having both the switch AND nic on autonegotiate can cause problems. Make real sure the switch and mdk-box agree on speed/duplex settings.

Disclaimer: The IP's used in this post are entirely fictional. Any resemblance to an IP, living or dead, is purely coincidental.