lost name resolution since upgrade to mandrake 9.1

Guest Ptaieb

Guest Ptaieb

hello all,

I am a newby but know some about computer. I install mandrake 9.0 on 2 pcs, one acting as gateway to internet for the other using NAT. then, I upgrade the intranet pc to mandrake 9.1. since I observe a very strange behaviour. I can ping ip address, I can dig or nslookup names, but I cannot ping names, neither resolv names so I cannot access internet from my intranet. this is seens only on the 9.1 pc as the gateway is still using 9.0 and I have no problem with it. I have another pc using win98 (girlfriend is not too keen on linux, she like incredimail) and there is no problem on this one. I upgrade a laptop from 9.0 to 9.1 and hook it to the intranet. no problem either.

any help is very welcome. I can provide all info requested

thanks

Hi,

I've had some similar problems in the past. Have you disabled 'zeroconf'? I'm not sure what it does but it caused some problems for me. Also, are you sure the network configuration has been saved correctly? I once had a problem where changes I made to the machines IP address, gateway address and subnet mask were not permanently stored. (That may have been due to zeroconf).

Sorry, I'm not very specific, but I am not at my Mandrake machine right now.

Mike

Guest Ptaieb

Mike,

I will check for the zeroconf, no idea what it does also. for the second topic, my network setup are saved correctly, when a do "dig www.yahoo.com" I can see responde from yahoo and the list of there server, also I can see which DNS was used (the one from my resolv.conf) but ping still give me "unknow host name"

Guest Ptaieb

I checked zeroconf, it seems that it is used to create a network whithout configuration between 2 mandrake system, it is not in used in my system, so that is not my problem unfortunatly. I beleive that the problem is firewall, but I try to remove shorewall, reinstall it, restart the service few time, change the rules to accept all, no go, the /etc/shorewall/rules file is the same that on my laptop and my laptop works no problem. any other idea really welcome