Kernel Woes

Guest MyWay

Guest MyWay

I have been trying to follow the instructions at http://www.mandrakeusers.org/docs/install/...rade2.html#srpm

Done the rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.xx.xmdk.src.rpm

rpm -bp /usr/src/RPM/SPECS/kernel.spec

and then get stuck on

cp /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES/kernel-2.4.xx.x-i586.config

/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/linux/.config

I Cant seem to find any file that even looks like

kernel-2.4.bla.bla.config

anyone any idears,

Guest MyWay

Useless reply now, (beer gone to my head),

cannonfodder i havent tryed that yet, will do i the morning cheers

aru doing it *traditional* way will that not just compile a i586 kernel with optimised code, or will it optimie the kernel and then compile it with the opimised flags

I have seen other posts saying do the rpmbuild --rebuild --target bla, but didnt know if that would work properly or not can someone comfirm/dismiss it

A Sober post will follow in the morning if this dosnt make any sence

nn

aru doing it *traditional* way will that not just compile a i586 kernel with optimised code, or will it optimie the kernel and then compile it with the opimised flags

I have seen other posts saying do the rpmbuild --rebuild  --target bla, but didnt know if that would work properly or not can someone comfirm/dismiss it

first of all, the kernel is THE VITAL part of your system, so it will be useless, dangerous and unstable to use the same agresive flags you might want to use when you compile other non-critical apps.

Second, the kernel don't use the system CFLAGS, so it will be difficult for rpm to pass the macros-flags (that is because the kernel should remain stable, and thus it would be dangerous to use the system CFLAGS, usually meant to be used with non critical apps). In order to use your own gcc flags you'll need to edit the kernel's Makafile or use an environment variable named "CFLAGS_KERNEL"; Again if you do it this way be sure to not use agressive gcc flags.

Finally, there is another way, WHICH IS THE ONE YOU (and anyother), SHOULD USE; if you want to optimize the kernel to your own machine: When you do "make xconfig (or menuconfig, or config...), there is an option at "Processor type and features" where you can select your processor, lets say that it is an athlon, selecting the option "Athlon/Duron/K7"; then the kernel will be stable and optimized to your own processor type.

HTH ;)