Core 2 Duo ACPI [solved]

mandusr20071

I am running mandriva 2007.1 on a Core 2 Duo processor. The directory /proc/acpi/thermal_zone is empty. I am running the 32 bit version. I am able to see the temperature in the BIOS, so the sensor is working. Does mandriva support the temperature sensor of this chip? Do I need to load some modules? Any help is appreciated.

Edited by mandusr20071

I would suggest installing lm_sensors and ksensors (if you're using KDE) for a frontend. If you're using Gnome, try the gnome-sensors-applet. All of these packages are available in the repos.

Please note that after the install of lm_sensors, you need to run (as root) in a terminal

sensors-detect

I installed the lm_sensors package and it detected the chip as intel core 2. However, it didn't load any modules at the end, and the sensors command shows no sensors are installed and none of the i2c modules seem to be loaded. I will try again with the ksensors package next. Does this update /proc/acpi too? Thanks for the help.

the sensors command shows no sensors are installed and none of the i2c modules seem to be loaded.

When you run the sensors-detect command, you must follow all of the instructions and answer all the questions. To check your i2c modules (as root) do

lsmod |grep i2c

You have no i2c modules loaded.

When you run (as root) sensors-detect, the utility will guide you through the detection process. However, in most cases you must edit some files as per the final sensors-detect output. Please see this section of the wiki: lm-sensors.org/wiki/

That is only an example of the possible output of sensors-detect in that wiki, to give you an idea of how it works. Did you have any output similar, and did you edit any files as per the output?

Please note that they will not update (edit) themselves, you must do it. :)

You have no i2c modules loaded.

Please note that they will not update (edit) themselves, you must do it. :)

To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
/etc/modules.conf:

#----cut here----
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
#----cut here----

To load everything that is needed, add this to some /etc/rc* file:

#----cut here----
# I2C adapter drivers
modprobe i2c-i801
# Chip drivers
modprobe eeprom
# Warning: the required module coretemp is not currently installed
# on your system. For status of 2.6 kernel ports check
# [url="http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices"]http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices[/url]. If driver is built
# into the kernel, or unavailable, comment out the following line.
modprobe coretemp
# sleep 2 # optional
/usr/local/bin/sensors -s # recommended
#----cut here----

Looks like the coretemp module is missing from my kernel. A quick google search shows that I the 2.6.17 kernel version doesn't have the module. People have reported success with the latest kernel from cooker. This feature is not worth a kernel upgrade for me. :unsure: