Konqueror file search brings MDK9 to its knees

JediSB

I just tried a file search using Konqueror and it literally crippled my system to the point of just having to turn it off and reboot. I search the entire file system, including mounted Windows partitions as I couldn't find a way of excluding them while still searching everywhere else. I waited almost a half an hour and nothing would work. The pointer would only respond with jerky movement, if at all. Clicking on "Stop" to stop the search didn't work. The Kicker menu would not response at all. XKill wouldn't start.

I could go on. I really want to use MDK 9, but when something as simple as searching for a file causes that much trouble, it makes it hard to think positively.

The file I was searching for was "libpanel_applet.so.0". I had tried to install the Evolved OpenOffice RPM and the install bombed out, saying this file was required. I later discovered that this was a "core" GNOME file. I don't understand why it wouldn't be there as I have GNOME installed. Anyway, beeing a Noob I wasn't sure where this file should be so I just searched the entire file system. Bad idea.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Why does a simple file search take so long and bring the system to its knees in the process?

2. What can I do to get Evolved OpenOffice installed?