Can't adjust volume with keyboard.

Guest BooYah

Guest BooYah

I can't use my keyboard to control the speaker volume since installing Mandrake 9.0.

I can through Kmixer no problem, but that's annnoying and I'm using fluxbox now.

Any ideas on what to try? This is on a Gateway Solo 5300. Volume up is Fn + PgUp. Down is Fn + PgDn. Mute is Fn + Home.

All the other Fn combos work.

i am trying to figure out the same thing for a gateway 200. i have been trying to figure out how to add new keyboard shortcuts in gnome, but the gnome control panel doesn't seem to have an "add" button for new shortcuts (even though the help files talk about one??!). This is in gnome 2.2.0 on mandrake 9.1.

http://mapage.noos.fr/nicolinux/index_en.html might be helpful to someone more experienced than me. the "Special Keys for X Windows" section kind of made sense, but i was afraid to modify too many files without knowing what i was doing.

Guest BooYah

Well I found I can use aumix from the command line. It's quite simple try:

aumix --help

and you'll see. There's probably a way to turn that into a shortcut key command in fluxbox, but I haven't tried yet. I haven't used gnome much at all, so I can't help you there.

I don't know what Gateway was thinking when they came up with this one. Why didn't they just stick on a dial control for volume?