I "broke" Lilo, how to start Mandrake 9.1 & re

Guest BruceG

Guest BruceG

Hey all - sorry if my FAQ searching is not so good, and I am sure the question has been asked, but:

I had/have Mandrake 9.1 installed and configured the way I want it on a dedicated disk (as slave). I messed up some DLLs on my Windows partition, and rather than overlaying the effected DLLs, I reinstalled Windows ME on drive C:.

And of course that overwrote my LILO. How do I boot back into Mandrake, without reinstalling and the associated pains? Would I make a boot floppy? My original install was via ISO's copied to my hard disk over the network. Should I simply burn the ISO to CD and boot from there? I did boot from an install floppy and tried the repair option - but couldn't figure out how to repair Lilo.

I also tried booting from a Knoppix CD, but still don't know how to restore Lilo. Help! Burning Mandrake 9.1 CD's in the meantime - in case restoring and/or re-installing from harddrive fail.

Guest anon

As your burning the ISOs, we will take that route.

Insert CD1, press F1 for other options, type, rescue

That will give you the option to re-install the LILO bootloader. Easy.

Well, if you can boot with the repair disk, you're ok.

here is what I'd do:

[*]Boot with the disk

[*]Remount my drives read-write

mount -o remount -w /devices/discs/disc0/part1 /boot

mount -o remount -w /devices/discs/disc0/part3 /

Note 1: you'd probably use hda1 and hda3 if you were partitioned like me.

Note 2: I mount both of them read-write, since I generally do other stuff.

[*]run /sbin/lilo (that's what I would do, you might need switches with Mandrake).

Guest BruceG

Okay - I burned the CDROMs, and booted from CD1. Hit F1, went to repair, and selected the repair boot (or whatever it said, I forget, now). I errored out on creating a ramdisk and loading my sound module. I figured that I broke Mandrake when trying to repair it last night.

So - did a reinstall. Have to test sound again, install NVidia drivers, rebuild the Wine and WineX cvs and pack scripts, and install Xine and Acrobat plugins. Also have to re-figure out the joystick issue. Had it working, but not exactly sure how. (notebook, Bruce, notebook!)

But this brings me back to a point where I had some concerns previously - installing Wine with read/write access to my WIndows installation - OR - installing Wine (or WineX) as standalone - OR - simply booting into Windows when my kids want to play WIndows games, and booting into Linux Mandrake when they want to play Linux games.

Not sure where I stand on the issue, although my first go-round was to simply use Open Source games and games ported to Linux ONLY, with the idea of someday learning enough to build an Open Source gaming CDRom or DVD. Kind of like a Knoppix for gaming (and networked gaming) only. Think that is WAY too advanced for me, and will go back to reading books and getting this working.

To wine or not to wine, that is the question for a different forum and a different time.