Local copy of MDK updates

gregor

How can I create a local copy of MDK updates? Do I need anything else other than RPM files?

How do I add these local RPM files to urpmi so that I can update MDK in MDK Control Center?

I have tried this:

rpmi.addmedia --update updates 'file://home/gregor/updates/' with ./hdlist.cz

but rpmdrake doesn't find any packages to update

Guest anon

You will have to go to a MDK mirror and d-load them, one by one.

You do not have to add them to urpmi for mdk control centre, a site is already added. In your start menu, is an option for Mandrake update, you can add more sites if you want in mdk control centre, sources manager.

You do not have to add them to urpmi for mdk control centre, a site is already added. In your start menu, is an option for Mandrake update, you can add more sites if you want in mdk control centre, sources manager.

Thank you for answering, but this is not what I have asked. I have a dial up connection and I can't afford to download all updates, so I asked a friend to do it for me.

I have packages on a CD. How can I use them to update MDK?

Actually, anon did answer your question. Log into you Mandrake Control Center. Enter into your Software Sources Manager. Push the add button. Push the removable device button. Then add the path or mount point where you will put the CD. For instance, one of mine is: removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS2

Kieth

Actually, anon did answer your question.  Log into you Mandrake Control Center.  Enter into your Software Sources Manager.  Push the add button.  Push the removable device button.  Then add the path or mount point where you will put the CD.  For instance, one of mine is:  removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS2

That doesn't work. I need to use "Mandrake update". There would be no sense in installing all the updates (e.g for the software that isn't even installed).

If I add a source "Security updates", "Mandrake update" doesn't find any packages.

And if I do what you have said I should have done, I still have to select a mirror when I run "Mandrake update".

I guess I need some other files from:

ftp://ftp.univie.ac.at/systems/linux/Mand...dates/9.1/base/

What do you think? Has anyone tried this?

What you could do is add the media as described, but when you opent he install software program choose "All packages by: Upgrade availability". That would just show the packages which were upgrades to the ones you already have. I tend to use this option instead of the dedicated update tool anyway.

What you could do is add the media as described, but when you opent he install software program choose "All packages by: Upgrade availability".  That would just show the packages which were upgrades to the ones you already have.  I tend to use this option instead of the dedicated update tool anyway.

I had to disable some extra sources first but that works. Thanks everyone.

Still it would be nice to know how to get "Mandrake update" to use local files.

Guest RedBear

If you've disabled all sources in MCC besides your update CD and made sure that the urpmi database knows what files are on that CD (I would guess you'd need to have an hdlist or synthesis file in the right place on the CD), then you could issue "urpmi --auto-select" on the command-line, and urpmi will search its database of available files and just look for updates for packages that are already installed on your system. This is sort of like Debian's "apt-get dist-upgrade". So instead of installing every package on the CD, like "urpmi *" would do, it just installs the necessary updates.

Creating the hdlist or synthesis file and putting it in the right place is a separate issue. I don't know what's involved in that. I'm also not quite sure how to do this update with the GUI tools, but I don't like the GUI rpm tools anyway, except for enabling/disabling sources.