sound problem cdrom 9.1

kmack

Clean installed 9.1 a couple weekends ago, but didn't take time to check everything as I was busy on other tasks. Tried to play a cd today and no joy. Kscd doesn't seem to be able to access the cdrom. I have looked through the board, FAQ's etc. and tried to figure this out, but must be overlooking something.

Something seems strange in my /mnt directory:

kelly@localhost kelly]$ ls /mnt

cdrom/  cdrom1/  cdrom2/  floppy/  scd0/  scd1/  windows/

EDIT: in /mnt /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/cdrom1 and /mnt/floppy all are "locked directories"

I have a cdrw and a cdrom both set to scsi in lilo.conf

Here is my fstab:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=iso9660,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom1 supermount dev=/dev/scd1,fs=iso9660,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

My lilo.conf is: (clipped to show portion that applies)

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet"

vga=788

read-only

I can read data in /mnt/cdrom which is my CDRW but not getting any response from my cdrom drive which I use for playing cd's.

I worked with it so much I have gotten myself confused. :oops:

What do I need to set in Kscd and XMMS to be able to access the cdrom? Seems like I have tried all the options and nothing works yet. TIA!

you don't have your cdrom devices setup in fstab

this:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=iso9660,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

should look more like this:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=iso9660,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

that's not good...reaplce /dev/cdrom with whatever your cdrom device is named in dev, but /dev/cdrom should be your first cdrom and /dev/cdrom1 should be your second. of course, which ever one is your burner is probably /dev/scd0....hmm, just out of curiousity, jump into /dev and type:

ls -l cdrom

and also

ls -l cdrom1

(the second might be cdrom0 instead of 1)

Tyme: Thanks for reply. Sorry I am in GMT +7 time zone so I sent my question just before going to bed last nite. :)

Here is output you requested:

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ cd /dev

[kelly@localhost dev]$ ls -l cdrom

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           13 May  5 07:11 cdrom -> cdroms/cdrom0

[kelly@localhost dev]$ ls -l cdrom1

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           13 May  5 07:11 cdrom1 -> cdroms/cdrom1

Strange that these directories are locked isn't it?

Here's some more background info:

[kelly@localhost dev]$ dmesg | grep hd

Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux ro root=305 devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet

ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi

ide_setup: hdd=ide-scsi

ide0: BM-DMA at 0xdc00-0xdc07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio

ide1: BM-DMA at 0xdc08-0xdc0f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA

hda: MAXTOR 6L040J2, ATA DISK drive

hda: DMA disabled

hdc: LITE-ON LTR-48246S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

hdd: CD-956E/AKV, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

hdc: DMA disabled

hdd: DMA disabled

hda: host protected area => 1

hda: 78177792 sectors (40027 MB) w/1819KiB Cache, CHS=4866/255/63, UDMA(133)

I am hoping a fresh mind that is not tired will help me get this sorted out. Appreciate more input as I am a bit over my head on this. :roll:

Open KsCD and click on the configure button( button with the hammer and screw driver). In the CD-ROM Device field make sure it says:

/dev/scd1

which I beleive is your DVD drive. I don't think possible errors in fstab should have anything to do with your problem. Fstab controls mounting and audio CDs are not mounted. Also, you said you can read data OK on both drives which indicates mounting through fstab is working properly for these drives. It does look to me like you have some extra mount points in /mnt which are probably not being used, but I don't think that can hurt anything.

DUH! :shock:

Last nite I set the Kscd to /dev/scd1 (and a zillion other possibilities) and tested it and nothing worked at all. I just rechecked it, it was still set to /dev/scd1 as I left it last nite.

I just stuck in a music cd and it worked! Go figure? Maybe my computer was as tired as I was and just didn't want to go? :shock: Something about restarting this am that initialized things properly maybe?

Thanks for stepping in pmpatrick!

I think some gnomes came over and messed with my KDE ! My Kscd is not working now. :cry:

I was using Opera and had a system freeze. Tried ALT-CTRL-BKSPC no luck. ALT+CTRL+F2 no response. Not able to ssh to machine so started the Left ALT+SysReq+r,s,e,i,u routine and s and e made hd lite blink so got limited response. This machine doesn't reboot well so I did a forced shutdown with power button. Not cool but not much choice.

On restart did the integrity check and it fixed itself... But now my Kscd is back to not working and I cannot access the /mnt/scd1 drive.

What's up with this? System freeze/wierdness?

pmpatrick: Thanks for your help!

I can see a /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 in the /dev directory. Both are links.

Harddrake shows:

Bus: x{200E}SCSI

Location on the bus: x{200E}0:1:0

Channel: x{200E}00

New devfs device: x{200E}/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd

Old device file: x{200E}/dev/scd1

Floppy format: x{200E}E-IDE CD -956E/AKV

Media class: x{200E}cdrom

This is my CDROM and just to be clear, I don't have a DVD on this computer.

The CD burner is shown in harddrake as CD Burner:

Location on the bus: x{200E}0:0:0

Drive capacity: x{200E}burner 

Channel: x{200E}00

New devfs device: x{200E}/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

Old device file: x{200E}/dev/scd0

Floppy format: x{200E}LITE-ON LTR-48246S

Media class: x{200E}cdrom

my cdrom is scd1

my burner is scd0

Next step I would try would be disabling supermount just to eliminate it as a possible cause. Do so by running the following as root:

# supermount -i disable

For convenience, create a mounting Icon on your desktop for scd1 by right clicking on an open area and going to Create New>CD-DVD-ROM Device. Tick the Device tab and then by the Device field, tick the black arrow to reveal the drop down menu with all possible devices. Select /dev/scd1 then tick OK. Reboot. Stick a data CD in scd1 and click on your new mounting icon. If all goes well, konqueror should open to scd1's mount point and display the CD contents. If you have the same problem as before, at least you know supermount wasn't causing the problem. If you can now read the CD, you have pretty good evidence that you have a supermount problem.

pmpatrick: I right clicked on open part of desktop and could not find /mnt/scd1 in the pull down menu under devices! So I put it in manually and made the link. That "killed" the other two supermount icons that had been there.

I then did the supermount -i disable as root and exited and rebooted.

Now, I only have the new icon and it doesn't work. Gives this error:

Could not mount device.

The reported error was:

mount: only root can do that

Now I am really confused! Ha! Guess I might actually learn something through all my trials and tribulations though.

Should I start a new post re: mount problems? If so, which forum?

It shouldn't be /mnt/scd1. Your mount point for scd1 is /mnt/cdrom1 according to your last fstab entry. /mnt/scd1 has no device associated with it in fstab; that's why your getting the error. Change the entry in the icon devices tab to /dev/scd1. Check your entry in fstab for /dev/scd1 and see if the mount point is still /mnt/cdrom1. It really doesn't matter what the mount point is as long as you have one and you designate by the correct device (/dev/scd1) in your icon.. There should definitely be an entry for it in that drop down menu. Check it again. Probably had to reboot for it to show up because # supermount -i disable changes fstab to allow for the entry and the changes aren't reflected until you reboot.

pmpatrick: oops! I tried to do something and might have made matters worse. Sorry...

I trashcanned the new icon that didn't work. Went to MCC--and reset the cdrom and cdrw mount points. Rebooted and still not working and the gui didn't do everything I told it to do...

Here's my latest fstab (note supermount is back on):

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=iso9660,ro,exec,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,unhide,codepage=850,noauto 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom1 supermount dev=/dev/scd1,fs=iso9660,ro,exec,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,unhide,codepage=850,noauto 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Can you help me figure out how to get back to go?

My goals are both cdrom and cdrw working, able to play music from cdrom and burn cd's from cdrom to cdrw. Sorry if I complicated matters by trying something. :oops:

pmpatrick: Think part of the problem might be the cdrom drive. I fired it up in Win98 and it didn't work. I took it out reset the connectors and it worked. Got back in the case and it worked for a time, then when I tried it under ML 9.1 it is erratic. When I put a cd in the drive it doesn't always spin it up and I think it is hardware related. Think I will get another cd drive and see if I get more consistent results.

Been reading all your posts re: fstab and settings and you really are active in helping people in that area. Thanks for your patience and time! I'll be sure and post if the new drive does the trick.

You can get back to square one by replacing your current fstab with your prior one which you posted above. If it's also not working in win98, it's definitely a hardware problem. If you have an extra ribbon cable about, try replacing that on the cd drive. Also. try using a different power connector if one is available that will reach the drive. Check the jumper setting on the drive. If it's set to Cable Select, you might try expressly setting it to either master or slave as may be appropriate. Try swapping the drive out like you planned and see if that helps. If you are getting other erratic behaviour, it might be a power supply problem or bad ram both of which can do some pretty strange things.

pmpatrick: Thanks for the other ideas! I'll reset my ram too. Power supply voltages seem ok, but could be an intermittent problem. I am in SE Asia and we do get some voltage swings but I have a voltage stabilizer on the line. :)

I have taken the cdrom drive out and reset all the connectors a couple times. It is really odd. It works for a few minutes then dies. In ML 9.1 if I try to play a music cd, it won't autostart (no big deal) but does start if I manually start it via Kscd. If I stop it, it won't restart. Definitely wierd.

I was able to mount it via /mnt/scd1 and could cd within the data cd, but when I tried to umount /mnt/scd1 got an error that according to mtab it was not mounted. Then I could not get it to eject and had to power down and manually eject it. Hmmm... definitely think it is a cdrom problem.

I think I will replace the drive as it is in warranty. I built this computer last Sept so it isn't that old and the cdrom drive has not been used much at all. Again thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience! Sure helps me!