Aureal 8810 sound device and MK 9.1

chris-tux

Hi all,

I've just installed MK 9.1, but the integrated sound device (aureal 8810) of the ASUS mother card is not recognized. I tried to have a look to aureal.sourceforge.net but it looks like the makefile is not adapted to MK9.1...

Has anyone installed the aureal 8810 device with MK 9.1 ?

thanks

chris

hi,

I jeust solved the pb with this post on mandrakeclub forum

Sasha_Kirillov

Registered to :

05-02-2002

OFF-Line

Posted 25-04-2003 at 16:59 I also have vortex sound card. Here is how I got it to work in LM 9.1 (took me a long time, reading various forums etc). I didn't touch anything in alsa sound system - no alsa patches or anything. Instead, I installed the proprietary drivers form aureal as follows:

1. Installed package kernel-source (from Mandrake installation CDs): "urpmi kernel-source"

1. Downloaded the latest (CVS) version of aureal drivers from aureal.sourceforge.net - the instructions are there.

2. Edited the makefile to replace all occurences of /sbin/lspci by /usr/bin/lspci (this is where LM puts this command)

3. edited the binary files asp*.o and replaced "gcc2-compiled" by "gcc3-compiled" (yes, I did edit binary files in emacs - hope I never have to do it again). This step is necessary, otherwise you will get complaints about using modules compiled with gcc2 with kernel compiled with gcc3, and kernel will refuse to load the module. Of course, the ideal solution would be to recompile asp*.o with gcc3, but these are binary-only drivers, no source was ever released - so no chance that we can recompile them.

4. as root, typed "make install-all"

5. Rebooted (this is not really necessary, you can as well just do modprobe ... - but I didn't remeber the options and needed to reboot anyway)

Enjoy!

PS: THANKS to the author

I still have volume pb even with good settings for the sound mixer...humm looking for that!

chris

Guest rollingrock

Strange, I didnt think that the module was loaded on boot unless you added modprobe au8810 to /etc/rc.local. (or whatever rc.) But if it works then more power to you :)

Also, if it keeps giving you probs & you're up for some more fun you might want to check out the openvortex project. They are working on opensource drivers for the au88x0 series cards. Things look like they are coming along nicely there tho. I'm running the au8830 drivers from them right now and am finally able to use aRts somewhat reliably :).