Mozilla..Manage Bookmarks..Personal Toolbar Folder

lawsonrc

When I click on Bookmarks >Manage Bookmarks > the window called "Bookmark Manager" is supposed to have the Personal Toolbar Folder in it.

The Personal Toolbar Folder allows you to add a group of tabs to the personal toolbar, or to add folder of bookmarks.

When I open up the Bookmark Manager, I don't have the Personal Toolbar folder showing in it.

This happened to me in Mozilla months ago in either Windows or in Linux, and I was successful in getting the Personal Toolbar folder to show in the Bookmark Manager, but I forgot how I did it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Richard L.

Yes, pmpatrick, the personal toolbar is showing and is checked (i.e. ticked) under the View menu.

I had already confirmed that before writing the message. I had also gone to Mozilla's Help Contents and studied it, which assumes that the Personal Toolbar folder is already in the Bookmark manager ready to add grouped bookmarks and folders to.

Showing/hiding the personal toolbar is irrelevant to having the folder in the Bookmark manager. That only shows and hides it as a toolbar under the menu bar.

Thanks anyway.

I checked Mozilla on my desktop in both Windows XP and in Red Hat 8, and the Personal Toolbar folder exists in both under the Bookmarks menu. This is important in that if it exists in the Bookmarks menu, then it also exists in the Bookmark manager, allowing you to right-click on bookmarks and rename them.

On the Personal Toolbar itself, I am able to drag and drop URL addresses and I am able to right-click the Personal Toolbar and add a New Folder. From the PT itself I can right-click on the folder and rename it.

However, when I drag and drop bookmarks into the folder from the address bar, I can open the folder, but I can't right-click on the bookmark to change its name. This is why it is important that the PT Folder appear under the Bookmarks menu and in the Bookmark Manager...in order to edit.

If anyone knows the way to activate the PT Folder under the Bookmarks Menu, please help.

This occurred to me once before about a year ago in Windows and someone helped me with it then, but I don't remember how it was done. I have done a Google search already in Google groups but did not come up with my problem.

In advance, thanks to all!

Sincerely,

Richard L.

Sorry about my prior post. Didn't mean to be insulting. It's just that I've often overlooked the obvious myself. The nagging thing is I had the same problem when I imported some bookmarks and lost the Personal Toolbar and I can't remember how I fixed it. I beleive I just created a new folder in with Manage Bookmarks and named it Personal Toolbar. I beleive I then dragged it above the three lines separating the other bookmarks and the top of the pane which is where the Personal Toolbar folder would normally appear. You can give it a try and see if it works. Hope this helps more than my last post.

I made a folder and labelled it Personal Toolbar Folder as per your instructions, but unfortunately it doesn't really function. I tested it by dragging a couple of bookmarks into it to see if they would actually appear on the Personal Toolbar, but they didn't.

Thanks again. I know there is a way to get the "real" Personal Toolbar Folder back.

All help is appreciated.

Richard L.

I did another Google search and came up with these instructions. I'm at work now and don't know if this is the solution until I get back home late this afternoon ( at the moment at work in Windows with no Mozilla nor Netscape):

1. Under Bookmarks, select Manage Bookmarks.

2. In the Manage Bookmarks window, under File, select New > Folder.

3. Give the folder the name "Personal Toolbar Folder".

4. Then, under View, select "Set as Personal Toolbar Folder."

5. Add what you'd like to the folder to have displayed in the personal toolbar.

In the meantime, if anyone has the desire to test this during the day to see if it works, let me know.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Richard L.

Guest BooYah
1. Under Bookmarks, select Manage Bookmarks.

2. In the Manage Bookmarks window, under File, select New > Folder.

3. Give the folder the name "Personal Toolbar Folder".

4. Then, under View, select "Set as Personal Toolbar Folder."

5. Add what you'd like to the folder to have displayed in the personal toolbar.

Yep. That's how I did it. You can make ANY folder the toobar folder. I think they just forgot to include the "Personal Toolbar Folder" in 1.3.

I think you're right, cybrjackle, in my case it is the MandrakeSoft folder. Somehow it was no longer the Personal Toolbar folder. I took all the bookmarks that I had had in the newly created PT folder and put them in the MandrakeSoft folder, then renamed it, then I went to Edit and made it the new PT folder; however, under bookmarks the folder icon to the left of it changed to a "Group of Tabs" icon. Strange...in Red Hat, and Windows, it still has a folder icon to its left under the Bookmarks menu.

Anyway, it now functions as the PT folder, allowing my bookmarks and grouped tabs (I have one called LinuxForums) to appear on the PT.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Richard