burning cd-rom: faq not good

roland

this one

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4737

links to this page:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linu...r-lnxw12BurnCDs

(ibm :!: )

witch 'im sorry is a bad page:

You'll need to edit two text files to configure the system to use the ide-scsi driver. The first is /etc/modules.conf (in Debian, /etc/modules). My system has a CD-ROM and CD-R/RW drive, hdb and hdc. Add these lines to /etc/modules.conf (or /etc/modules) using values appropriate for your system:

ide-cd ignore="hdb hdc"                    

ide-scsi                                                    

i have some doubt. dont seems

to be right. is it correct :?:

By default, the IDE subsystem claims all ATA devices for its own, so the ignore line enables the SCSI subsystem to grab both the CD-R/RW and CD-ROM.

Next, edit the configuration file for your bootloader, GRUB or LILO. For LILO users, add the following to the end of lilo.conf:

append="hdb=ide-scsi"

append="hdc=ide-scsi"  

at the __end__ of lilo.conf ??

for me it is "failsafe" boot section ....

For GRUB users, add the following to /etc/grub.conf (or in Debian, /boot/grub/menu.lst) at the end of the kernel line:

hdb=scsi hdc=scsi  

Now reboot and verify that it has loaded:

$ lsmod  

This will return a long list; look for ide-scsi.

and what about running lilo as a root before .. rebooting .. ?

i consider myself as a newbee on linux and i'm able to see that this kind of "advices"

are just able to disgust new comers .

cheers

roland

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linu...r-lnxw12BurnCDs

(ibm :!: )witch 'im sorry is a bad page:

Why? there are dozens of different ways to set up a cdburner in GNU/Linux and I don't see why that procedure is wrong

You'll need to edit two text files to configure the system to use the ide-scsi driver. The first is /etc/modules.conf (in Debian, /etc/modules). My system has a CD-ROM and CD-R/RW drive, hdb and hdc. Add these lines to /etc/modules.conf (or /etc/modules) using values appropriate for your system:

ide-cd ignore="hdb hdc"                    

ide-scsi                                                    

i have some doubt. dont seems to be right. is it correct  :?:

It is correct, I can't see what would be wrong in there. Me for example, when I bought my cdburner (couple of years ago), instead of putting those lines in /etc/modules.conf; I went to adding modprobe entries at my rc.local script:

#CARGA DE MODULOS PARA LA GRABADORA DE CDs

echo "Cargando modulos para la grabadora de CDs..."

modprobe sr_mod

modprobe loop

modprobe iso9660

modprobe ide-scsi

Which has the same result as if you automate it through modules.conf

[...]

at the __end__ of lilo.conf ??

for me it is  "failsafe" boot section ....

I guess that the article talks about adding those append flags at the end of each lilo.conf linux image entries (you should check the man page of the stuff you are modifying to complement the howto you are reading); What the article says is something like this:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-32mdk

label=2419-32

root=/dev/hda2

alias=linux

read-only

optional

vga=normal

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi"

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.19-32mdk.img

See the append line.

and what about running lilo as a root before .. rebooting .. ?
What's wong with that? You have to write into the boot sector the changes made at the lilo.conf file. So to achieve those changes you must run lilo as root. Also, if you are told to modify a BOOT loader stuff, something that passes parameters to the kernel at BOOT time, how do you expect to be used by your kernel if you don't reBOOT your machine.

i consider myself as a newbee on linux and i'm able to see that this kind of "advices" are just able to disgust new comers .

would you please explain better this comment, because I don't understand what's wrong with this, or with newbies. That howto explains step by step one right way to set-up the CDwritter for use in GNU/Linux.

If you think there should be something easier, then you are lucky, because there is. Mandrake automates all the process and you have to do nothing. But the howto is for All GNU/Linux Users, no matter what distro are they using.

So what's wrong with that?

hello

No i don't find the procedure good. okay, i have to suggest one. i will do so as soon as my F#à@)&G CD burner work (already more than 8 hours of sweating before i realized it does not work on M$ Win as well ..)

ide-cd ignore="hdb hdc"

ide-scsi

didn't work for me.

i don't know why.

options ide-cd ignore=hdb,hdc

seems ok (at least no bad messages).

I guess that the article talks about adding those append flags at the end of each lilo.conf linux image entries (you should check the man page of the stuff you are modifying to complement the howto you are reading); What the article says is something like this:

that is what i was saying: newbees are unable to guess: it is important to be very precise.

What's wong with that? You have to write into the boot sector the changes made at the lilo.conf file. So to achieve those changes you must run lilo as root. Also, if you are told to modify a BOOT loader stuff, something that passes parameters to the kernel at BOOT time, how do you expect to be used by your kernel if you don't reBOOT your machine.

sure you have to reboot. It might works better if you run LILO before !

nowhere it is indicated.

If you think there should be something easier, then you are lucky, because there is. Mandrake automates all the process and you have to do nothing. But the howto is for All GNU/Linux Users, no matter what distro are they using.

what ??

damned don't see that !! i'm going to have a look

ciao

roland