Continuous Looping Sound

Guest maxuser

Guest maxuser

I've only used linux for a few days now and I keep running into problems. My latest problem is a continuous looping sound that won't stop. It's happened twice now and both times when watching a movie in kaffeine. It seems to happen when I use the fastforward feature on the mouse pad (scrolling left and right at the bottom). I don't know how to describe the sound but it reminds me of a "powering up" sound from an old nintendo game. It's completely annoying. The sound won't stop even if I close out kaffeine; it'll only stop when I reboot.

Is there a way to stop it from happening? Thanks.

Guest maxuser

I tried rebooting after my last sound problem and now I can't even log in. It says something about temp files being full and to check my installation. I had to boot into XP. Well, I tried but it's onto another linux distro for me. :wall:

Welcome to the board first of all.

Now before you go rushing off could you supply us with some info on your set-up? Sound card, mixer settings etc. From what you describe it appears you are getting feed-back caused by settings in your mixer. Do you have a microphone plugged in? If so make sure that you don't have the settings for that up at full as well as the output.

Guest maxuser

Silver, thanks for replying. I think my sound card is ATI SB400. I did have a headset w/ mic plugged in but I don't know what kind of settings I had in Mandriva. I don't have Mandriva anymore though so I can't check. Thanks for trying to help though.

Sad. You dived away from Mandriva because you had a problem that most likely was NOT Mandrivas fault at all.

When ever you get a loop effect (it is called feedback) it is because a setting has been incorrectly been made in your sound applications just as SilverSurfer said. Even when you do not have a mike connected, you should always check in kmix (or the equivalent in Gnome) that the Mike button is not set to active (Light Blue/green but to dark green) and that the mike level slider is set to lowest.

Considering it was over a weekend, you didn't give MUB team here much of a chance to come in on this for you. You seemed to forget that we here at MUB are all voluntary and we live lives away from MUB (at least sometimes). Would you have been so quick to dump windows under similar circumstances ????. I don't think so.

At least you were gracious enough to give thanks for the help you did receive.

Cheers. John.

I suspect you will not even be around to read this or later posts and that is a great shame. JB