Upgrade to 9.1 --> KDE hangs at startup

Guest huib

When I start KDE the splash screen hangs at "Initialising system services"?

Anyone had this problem? I've seen some posts on other mailing lists suggesting that it was a font problem.

I haven't had the patience yet to see what happens when I wait.

When KDE hangs I used Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill X, and I login again under standard IceWM. Then .xsessionerrors shows some lines "IceWM font problem...", but this doesn't seem to have anything to do with KDE.

How long did you wait?

BTW that icewm font error also shows up on my box, everything works though... normally I use kde, which also works, so I'd say this icewm font warning is unrelated.

Can you make a completely new user (under icewm if you have to) and then log into kde with that one?

How long did you wait?

BTW that icewm font error also shows up on my box, everything works though... normally I use kde, which also works, so I'd say this icewm font warning is unrelated.

Can you make a completely new user (under icewm if you have to) and then log into kde with that one?

I waited for approximately 2 minutes. However, when I killed my X sefver and logged in under IceWM the kde processes were still running. first I checked log files, and after approximately 5 minutes suddenly a KDE taskbar appeared :?

How long did you wait?

Back at home again. Tried the following things:

First logged in under IceWM and started konqueror from a terminal. Got the following messages:

Loading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2

mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding

Second, I started other appllications using libGL.so.1.2 but no problem there. For example kppp starts normally.

Third, I logged in under KDE. Took about 15minutes before KDE is up. Starting konqueror from a terminal gives the same errors.

However, starting the konqueror WEB browser from the taksbar it fires up within a second. Starting konqueror as a file manager it takes about 2 minutes.

Guess it isn't a libGL problem.

Does anyone know what this mcop error is?

Well another email from the problem owner. This starts to get an hourly report on my progress. surely I'm not the only one who's had this problem :(

Next I tried artscontrol from the command line. The error is exactly the same as with konqueror:

Loading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2

mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding

But it fires up within a second :!: Apparently it's neither an mcop problem.

I'll keep on looking.