Library system giving Windoze the bird

Guest duir66

I have ICEWM light (LM 8.1) installed on a 100MHz pentium with 48MB of ram and it works acceptibly.  The library will probably want a very limited system anyway that only allows the user to do a few things like search for books or browse the web.  They generally don't need a whole plethera of applications.  Give them a clean system with just the required icons on the desktop.  If possible, make it so that the user can't go in and mess up the desktop.

Glitz.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

IceWM is really slick and fast in my experience.

Your right, too, keeping it as simple as possible would make for a much easier user experience.

Linux is locked down from the beginning. Make sure the user doesn't have access to terminal to execute su and they can't save to anything but users folder. Of course there are other safeguards we can do administratively; and we probably will.

frew, your kind of specs say a mouthful about real progress in my mind. On the one hand, you have M$ that releases an even more bloated OS every other year that requires a system twice as stout as the one that ran their last release. With something specifically configurable, like linux, the software just gets better not heavier. I've been using linux since Mandrake 8.0 and I really haven't noticed any extra junk with each new release. I have noticed with Mandrake 9.0 & KDE 3.0.3 that it seems to have gotten more responsive.

A newer OS should mean "better coded", IMHO.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally went to Library for demonstration.

We slapped ML9 on PIII/500 Dell Optiplex with all of the server apps as that is what the admin's primary immediate interest was. He was impressed and is going to have us install latest ed. of ML on older Alpha also.

Since I have known the fella for a number of years, he also wants me to get with him at his house to install ML9 on a personal computer of his so that he can familiarize himself with the desktop apps.

.......so far, so good.