Error running StarterBar in gDesklets [solved]

yossarian

Hi everybody,

I'm running Mandriva 2008.0 on IBM X30. I installed from the repos the gDesklets application. I found here an application that mimics the Mac strterbar. After downloading the tar ball and installing the desklet, I double clicked it (in the gDesklet window) in order to activate it. I got the following error message:

Log messages of /home/usr/.gdesklets/logs/gdesklets%3A0.0.log                       
/usr/lib/gdesklets/main/TrayIcon.py:55: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion          
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed                                                       
 item.get_children()[0].set_text_with_mnemonic(label)                              
==========================================================[01/08/08-08:32:04]===    
Deprecation: Sensors are deprecated since v0.30.                                    
Please consider using controls and inline scripts.                                  
Could not load sensor StarterBar                                                    
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:                                                
'/usr/lib/gdesklets/../../share/gdesklets/Sensors'                                  
/usr/lib/gdesklets/factory/SensorFactory.py                                         
  32         try:                                                                  
  33                                                                               
  34             for p in SENSORPATHS:                                             
  35                                                                               
  36                 try:                                                          
>  37                     os.chdir(p)                                               
  38                 except OSError:                                               
  39                     continue                                                  
  40                                                                               
  41                 # reload old modules to force using the latest version; this  
  42                 # means we can edit modules while running gDesklets           
  43                 # TODO: clean up                                              
==========================================================[01/08/08-08:32:04]===    
=== Could not find sensor 'StarterBar'                                              
Warning: Couldn't remove desklet with ID "id11997739236428645".                     
'id11997739236428645'                                                               
==========================================================[01/08/08-08:35:40]===    
Deprecation: Sensors are deprecated since v0.30.                                    
Please consider using controls and inline scripts.                                  
Could not load sensor StarterBar                                                    
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:                                                
'/usr/lib/gdesklets/../../share/gdesklets/Sensors'                                  
/usr/lib/gdesklets/factory/SensorFactory.py                                         
  32         try:                                                                  
  33                                                                               
  34             for p in SENSORPATHS:                                             
  35                                                                               
  36                 try:                                                          
>  37                     os.chdir(p)                                               
  38                 except OSError:                                               
  39                     continue                                                  
  40                                                                               
  41                 # reload old modules to force using the latest version; this  
  42                 # means we can edit modules while running gDesklets           
  43                 # TODO: clean up                                              
==========================================================[01/08/08-08:35:40]===    
=== Could not find sensor 'StarterBar'                                              
==========================================================[01/08/08-08:35:41]===    
Warning: Couldn't remove desklet with ID "id11997741409256692".                     
'id11997741409256692'               

Ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance!

Edited by yossarian

OK, solved it myself. :)

Damn, that one was difficult. It looks like it happened for many people, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere. Only users complaining. Finally I thought about this solution myself (total luck, BTW). Anyway, for the welfare of the next generations, I post here what I did:

1. go here: http://gdesklets.zencomputer.ca/
  2. look for the StarterBar desklet.
  3. download the 0.31.3 tar ball.
  4. extract the Install_StarterBar_Sensor.bin file.
  5. run the Install_StarterBar_Sensor.bin file.

That's it. Probably not very wise, as the gDeklets version I'm running is 0.35.4, but works nonetheless.

Good luck.