PeaZip GTK2 Visualization Bug

skyhawk

I have thus far tried running <peazip-1.10.bin.LINUX.GTK2.i586-1.rpm>, <peazip_portable-1.10.bin.LINUX.GTK2.i586-1.tar.gz>, and <peazip_portable-1.10.bin.LINUX.GTK1.i586-1.tar.gz>, in addition to a previous PeaZip version installed via RPM package. All produce the same result, which has been characterized by PeaZip's creator, Georgio Tani, as the "GTK2 Visualization Bug". The bug produces jumbled text characters in the last column when an archive is opened (actually the last column should not be displayed, since it contains no useful information). Click on the following link to see a screenshot.

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?881dff03c0.png

The PeaZip home page is located here:

http://peazip.sourceforge.net/

Mr. Tani reports that the GTK2 bug was successfully eliminated in the PeaZip-1.10 version, when tested using Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and Debian Linux. Also, PeaZip GTK1 versions are reported to be free of the bug. The bug persists, however, in all PeaZip versions I have installed, running under Mandriva 2007.0, kernel 2.6.17-5mdv.

I would like to know if other MandrivaUsers (Mandriva 2007.0, 2007.1, 2008.0) running PeaZip have seen the "GTK2 Visualization Bug." I will forward all relevant comments to the "PeaZip for Linux" forum, maintained by Mr. Tani.

I would also appreciate comments from anyone who might have ideas for troubleshooting procedures that could be used to isolate and resolve this bug. Running <ldd peazip> from the CLI shows nothing amiss on my machine for all versions I have tried.

My compliments to all MandrivaUsers moderators who work hard to maintain the forums and keep topics on track. All their advice directed to me has been right on-the-money.

-------------------------

Compaq Deskpro EN, Pentium III 933 MHz, 256 MB RAM, Nvidia Riva TNT2 AGP Card, Mandriva 2007.0, kernel 2.6.17-5mdv

-------------------------

You can build the program against gtk1 as well (or use the static gtk1 version), if you cannot find any other solution.

That said, I've installed 1.10 portable version -GTK2 under my ArchLinux (fairly easily, using the AUR build system), and it is displaying the same crap in the last column. But this is definitely not a "GTK2 bug" but rather an internal problem of the IDE used to compile this thing (Lazarus). There's not much one can do about that- noone will install a whole IDE for having just a small archive manager handy. Everyone will use the statically built version, and nobody can resolve that better than Tani and the Lazarus staff.

Thanks very much, scarecrow. Your comments confirm what I had suspected, but I wanted a second opinion, due to my meager knowledge of computer programming. Most importantly, you confirmed that this is not a GTK2-related bug, nor is it confined to Mandriva Linux only. I have tried the portable GTK1 version, by the way, with the same results as the GTK2 versions. I am hoping that Georgio Tani will soon be able to resolve this little problem, as PeaZip development is coming along very nicely and the program does not deserve to be marred by a display glitch such as this.