How to create DVD iso

c-clone

I'm not an expert in this area, but as far as I'm concerned, the only special thing about a Mandriva CD/DVD is that it is bootable (ie: the BIOS can launch it). This property is set at "burn" time by pointing the burning software to a bootable floppy image found in the DVD contents.

My "naïve" answer, would be to dump the DVD contents somewhere, eg: /tmp/MdvDVD, and then remove every package for the i586 architecture, which should roughly halve the size of the DVD, and finally burn the DVD, not forgetting to point the software (eg: K3B) to the right floppy image so that it is bootable.

However:

- I never tried such a thing. It may fail.

- I'm not sure it will fit on a 4GB DVD because Mandriva media are well known to be well filled (almost over-burnt), and removing all i586 does probably not quite result in half the initial size; but then, a single-layer DVD is more than half a double-layer DVD, so...

- I'm not sure it is a good idea. As far as I know, you need the i586 packages for a few things; for instance Flash plugin, and the libraries needed by it probably.

Yves.