No sound in browser

maarten_nl

Both packages are installed.

output:

urpmq --list-url

Mandriva Linux - 2008.0 (Powerpack64) - Installer removable://media/cdrom/x86_64 /media/main

Mandriva Linux - 2008.0 (Powerpack64) - Installer (main32) removable://media/cdr om/x86_64/media/main32

Mandriva Linux - 2008.0 (Powerpack64) - Installer (contrib) removable://media/cd rom/x86_64/media/contrib

Mandriva Linux - 2008.0 (Powerpack64) - Installer (non-free) removable://media/c drom/x86_64/media/non-free

Mandriva Linux - 2008.0 (Powerpack64) - Installer (restricted32) removable://med ia/cdrom/x86_64/media/restricted32

Mandriva Linux - 2008.0 (Powerpack64) - Installer (restricted64) removable://med ia/cdrom/x86_64/media/restricted64

Updates for Mandriva Linux 2008.0 http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man drakelinux/official/2008.0/x86_64/media/main/updates

I thought that you had mixed up your urpmi sources, but I see you're still using the Powerpack64 DVD, so that's not a problem. Sorry, but everything looks ok, and I have no new ideas to resolve your problem.

You may want to set up your urpmi sources with easyurpmi (the link is at the top right of this page), then update your system. That may help you.

You should tell from the start you're using the 64-bit version.

There's not much you can do I'm afraid- there is no native flash plugin for x86_64, so you either have to use 32-bit wrappers which have issues like the one you're encountering, or try another flash player which compiles natively under 64-bit environment (gnash or swfdec or whatever you may find useful).

Hello Maarten.

On another but different and extremely important point. I see you are using RAID-0. I guess you know that this is good for faster response, I am not certain that you know that if either of your hard drives was to fail then you will lose your OS and ALL of your data and you cannot recover any of it. This is because the data is striped to the HDDs alternately constantly.

It does not do, as many mistakenly think, operate by filling the first HD and the over flowing into the second one. So if you are putting lots of Movies on to RAID-0 and therefore using it as one huge HD, lose either HD and you lose the entire Movie collection , not just what happened to be on the failed HD. Not a good idea.

Raid0 is not usually used for data security unless it is also used in conjunction with RAID-1. RAID-0+1 uses 4HDDs so that 2 striped pairs are mirrored to each other and in this case if you lose a HD you can still use your data. RAID-1 on its own constantly mirrors the hard drives, the 2nd to the 1st.

Unless you are doing your setup mostly for games then I strongly recommend that you save out your data to an external device (e.g. to DVD or CD) and change over to RAID-1. This will mean doing a reinstall of the OS and all your saved data but you would have to do that anyway if you have a HD failure. Do not think that will not happen just because your drives are fairly new.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

On another but different and extremely important point. I see you are using RAID-0. I guess you know that this is good for faster response, I am not certain that you know that if either of your hard drives was to fail then you will lose your OS and ALL of your data and you cannot recover any of it. This is because the data is striped to the HDDs alternately constantly.

I perfectly know what the risks of RAID-0 are, but thanks for the pointer :thumbs:

This is my workstation which just needs to be fast, (that's why there is only 2x160GB SATA WD Enterprise RE2 discs in that box) There is no data storage except some downloaded installers and useless images. My docs and data are on my server which is running hardware RAID-3 (3x320GB WD Enterprise RE2, 2 discs with 1 parity) and the important data server is backupped off-site to my Dell bladeserver (running hardware RAID-1) in a big datacenter.

And for the unfortunate case that I need to reinstall Mandriva 2008.0, that is just good excercise ;)

B)

Back on-topic.

Gnash reports some 7 or more missing devlopment components so I tried to get swf-dec going:

./configure:

checking for GLIB... no

configure: error: glib-2.0, gobject-2.0 and gthread-2.0 >= 2.12 are required to build swfdec

[root@localhost swfdec-0.5.5]# urpmi glib

Package lib64glib1.2-1.2.10-18mdv2008.0.x86_64 is already installed

[root@localhost swfdec-0.5.5]# urpmi gobject

Package python-gobject-2.14.0-2mdv2008.0.x86_64 is already installed

[root@localhost swfdec-0.5.5]# urpmi gthread

No package named gthread

(easy-urpmi is configured)

Is that lib64glib1.2 the package swf-dec needs?

I searched sites like rpmfind but I couldn't find a package named gthread-2.0

Edited by maarten_nl

When you are compiling from source code, you need to install the devel packages. In this case, you will need to install the glibc-devel, python-gobject-devel, and libglib2-devel packages. Please note that since you are using 64-bit, that these package names may vary a bit on your system.