Kmail with multiple identities?

kmack

Anyone able to use multiple identities in Kmail successfully?

I am having problem setting up a second email account and want each one to send from its own smtp server and not use a single default smtp server.

Any success stories/tips would be greatly appreciated. Spent last 18 hrs trying to get things going again and am about out of ideas. :cry:

I am using ML 9.1 and Kmail is 1.5 but if you can do this in an earlier version, I'd appreciate knowing that too. TIA!

1. Make sure that you have both SMTP servers setup.

2. Setup two identities.

3. If you edit an identity and go to the "advanced" tab, you will see a checkbox at the bottom saying "special email transfer" (or something similar, I am using KDE in Swedish...). Select the preferred SMTP account and save your settings.

4. Done.

/Kenneth

Kenneth,

Thank you for your help. It is good to know someone can do it! :) I am encouraged a bit!

I tried, but it still doesn't work.

1. I have two SMTP setup.

2. I have two identities.

3. I selected the desired identity in the Advanced--"Special Transport" option and saved.

4. It didn't work. :cry:

Would it be better in step 3 to actually put the smtp info in the box instead of using the pull down selection which refers to the smtp by name and not something.smtp.org ?

This second one is a SSL acct and that maybe the problem. It seems to not want to authorize properly.

I actually need to setup 4 identities so this is pretty frustrating. It works in Mozilla, but I really do not like the interface.

Kenneth,

Thanks again! I am getting an error that says:

Sending Failed:

Could not connect to host

xxxxx.xxxxx.xxx

The message will stay in the outbox... 

blah blah

Note: Other messages will also be blocked...

The following transport protocol was used:

"Name of my SMTP server" (the one I typed in)

I actually have been able to do this for years as I use special mail services and my isp does not block my usage of another email service. I have accts in 3 countries and travel a good bit so I need to do it this way.

Think it is in the auth part of the login but cannot find out what the holdup is. Same thing is happening on my Windows box too, so it might even be a temporary server glitch. Funny thing is I CAN send on Mozilla though.

:roll:

Yes, most are doing the smtp limiting now.

I have 2 accts with a local ISP in SE Asia one for cable and a backup dialup. I also have a dialup with attglobal.net from the US, and they only allow me to receive, not send if I am not dialed in on the attglobal.net acct.

But I have two subscribed email servers that are not ISP's but email services (like yahoo.com, etc.) and I have always been able to send on them over the past 6 yrs. Since there is no way to dialup on that acct it has to be available by an authorized login. One uses APOP and the other is a TLS clear text login via the encryption.

Being Irish, I won't quit until this is resolved. Blessing and thanks again!

:D

• 2 months later...

Update on an old issue. Since I am of Scotch Irish blood, I didn't give up. :wink:

I think all the Mdk updates are a factor, but Kmail is now working OK with multiple identities. You have to pay attention to the TRANSPORT options. I started by opening Compose Window, choosing my identity and then using VIEW menu in compose window added the Transport line. Then you can see that you are sending from proper identity and transport/smtp server.

Kenneth's tip of going to the Identity setup and the ADVANCED tab and using the pull downs to select a TRANSPORT that matches your identity now works properly. A while back, my pull down menus for transport were all blank and nothing I entered would stay set. Now Kmail seems to work and the settings are visible and can be set properly. I am now able to send on 4 different id's and smtp setups! :)

I guess the moral of the story is keep updated. What else is new?