help installing kismet

Guest playboy0308

Guest playboy0308

ok so i am running mandriva and i decided to download kismet to see if i can break in to my wireless when my roomate changes the wep key. he is going to change it to see if i can break it so i downloaded kismet to help me out. so i tried to install it and it said that i needed to install libpcap. so i went and tried to install libpcap which i downloaded off of the net. so i tried installing that and it says i need a flex server and it gave me a website to go to so i downloaded ti and installed it. so i went back to install libpcap and now i get this when i try to install it:

checking if if_packet.h has tpacket_stats defined... yes

checking whether we have /proc/net/dev... yes

checking whether we have DAG API headers... no (/usr/local/include)

checking whether we have Septel API... no

checking for flex... flex

checking for flex 2.4 or higher... yes

checking for bison... no

configure: WARNING: don't have both flex and bison; reverting to lex/yacc

checking for capable lex... insufficient

configure: error: Your operating system's lex is insufficient to compile

libpcap. flex is a lex replacement that has many advantages, including

being able to compile libpcap. For more information, see

http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/flex.html .

so if anyone can shed some light on this that would be great. thanks in advance :wall:

break a wep key? easy, as long as you can put your wireless into the right mode. anyways, as far as installing kismet, just go here, download the rpm from one of the mirrors and install it using rpmdrake.

Got any advice on breaking WEP keys? Have been trying to do the same with my Belkin card using Airsnort and Kismet, without much success. Need to be able to put the card in monitor mode... what do you recommend? Are other programs better? Cheers.

Need to be able to put the card in monitor mode... what do you recommend? Are other programs better? Cheers.
Putting your card into monitor mode requires 1) your card supporting it (some don't, such as the wireless in my MBP) and 2) the proper driver (to enable monitor mode). For some cards, using their default driver gives you access to monitor mode, but that's not always the case. How to do it on your system highly depends on the chipset your card has. In my experience, airsnort and/or kismet are the best program out there for wireless snooping.

ok so i am running mandriva and i decided to download kismet to see if i can break in to my wireless when my roomate changes the wep key. he is going to change it to see if i can break it so i downloaded kismet to help me out. so i tried to install it and it said that i needed to install libpcap.
Install it with your gui package manager, or as root with
urpmi kismet

this will pick up the dependency libcap0 for you.

Have been trying to do the same with my Belkin card using Airsnort and Kismet, without much success.
What chipset does your Belkin card have? From the kismet readme:
- Linux (Intel, PPC, MIPS, X-Scale, Arm, etc)

Known supported cards: Atmel_USB, ACX100, ADMTek, Atheros, Cisco, Prism2,

Orinoco, WSP100, Drone, wtapfile, pcapfile, wrt54g, ipw2100, rt2400,

rt2500, rt73, rt8180, ipw2200, ipw2915, ipw3945, iwl3945, iwl4965,

Broadcom 43xx

the last one on that list (Broadcom 43xx) is debatable.

My card is a Broadcom... any advice?
My laptop has the BCM4318 chipset, and I have not been able to use kismet with that chipset. From the kismet readme
See the bcm43xx source type entry. There are experimental reverse-engineered drivers which have monitor mode support now under Linux! If they don't work, however, then too bad.
:huh:

Last year I picked up an old SMC card with an Intersil Prism 2 chipset, and updated the firmware. Using the hostap driver it works with kismet.