Fonts and browsers with MDK 9.1

lawsonrc

The fonts on Konqueror are clear and sharp, both on the toolbars, menus, etc. AND on the web pages.

However, when I use Netscape 7.02, OR Mozilla, OR Galeon, the fonts on the menus, toolbars, AND web pages are dull (enemic) looking and not sharp and distinct like on Konqueror.

Eventually I'll want to use the final version of Opera 7.1 (will not use beta), so I also want its fonts to look as sharp as its Windows version.

I have already used MCC to install the MSfonts from WinXP (first time that it would take it from NTFS file system...YEAH!!...didn't work in 9.0).

Since I'm a point-and-click-GUI-non-techie-dimwitted-slow-learner with only limited command line experience, any simple and thorough step-by-step instructions would be very, very helpful in getting the other browsers and their web pages to look as sharp as Konqueror.

Yes, I like to switch around with web browsers according to mood and desire, so please don't respond with "Why don't you just use Konqueror".

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Richard L.

Texstar used to have an RPM of Mozilla with anti-aliased fonts enabled. I've noticed there is a Mozilla RPM for 9.1 on his FTP site but the RPM name used to have xft in the name. This one does not so I'm not sure if has the hack enabled or not.

ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/

You'll find lots of other nice stuff there as well.

Thanks, JediSB....

Actually, I compared Mozilla and Galeon in MDK 9.1 with MDK 9.0 on my laptop (both on different partitions) and they look the same, so they must be anti-aliased and I was mistaken. It's just that Konqueror looks a little better.

What puzzles me is that Netscape 7.02 looks "blah". I particularly like it over Mozilla since AIM is built right into the browser in the side panel for my Buddy List, and this doesn't work in the side panel in Mozilla.

Yes, I know that I can use GAIM in a separate window with any other browser, but I just like the convenience of it built-in and functional with Netscape 7.02.

I'm beginning to like the way Netscape and Mozilla and "Group" bookmarks and how easy it is to edit these "Groups".

Then when you open the browser, just like once on the "Group" to open up the saved bookmarks and all your pages open up instantly (i.e. on cable/DSL/T1).

I'm still very fond of Opera 7.1 and hope its final version in Linux will be as clear font/page wise as in WindowsXP.

Sincerely,

Richard L.

Almost all browsers have a configuration section where you can tell it what fonts to use. Look in the Konqueror prefs, and use the font that it's using in Mozilla/Netscape/Galeon. Also, if you want to get the texstar RPM's for Mozilla, I would highly reccomend downloading Synnaptic from his site first, as it works really well for resolving dependencies, etc. You can also add his site as a source in rpmdrake.

As for Opera 7, I've been using the beta since it came out, and I've yet to experience a crash on it, much less any annoying bugs. It looks good, and 7.1 has loads of bugfixes from Opera 7 for windows. If you are getting annoyed with the other browsers, I would suggest giving Opera a try anyways.

--Andrew

Thanks, manly, but even when I change the fonts to be the same in Galeon and Mozilla as in Konqueror, it doesn't change anything. It is not a "font" choice thing, but an anti-alias thing. Although I don't prefer it, Konqueror has over-all the clearest and nicest font look, from the toolbars to the web pages themselves.

Netscape just looks weak, and it doesn't seem to pick up all my fonts like Mozilla and Galeon did, which were already installed on MDK 9.1. Netscape font choices are adobe-font name-with a number.

Oh well, for now I have to settle with Konqueror much of the time since it is the most easily readable, although I will be using the others, just less frequently.

If anyone else has suggestions for making fonts on web browsers and their pages to look sharper, please feel free to comment here. I really would like to use Netscape 7.x in Mandrake as well as the others.

Thanks in advance.

Richard L.