Shutdown Problem

Hi all,

I am using Mandriva 2008 One on my notebook Compaq Presario C702TU. While the notebook boots very fast, it takes a lot of time to shut down.

During shutdown there is an error message:

mount: proc already mounted

unmounting proc file system: umount: /proc: not mounted [FAILED]

please help me out.

[Moved from Hardware - arctic. Welcome aboard. :) ]

• 3 months later...

The original poster started the thread back in November, I was going through some threads and noticed it did not have any replies. So, I thought I would take the time to post some sort of reply.

I found the specs for the model. The CPU is slightly slower (by 130 MHz) than the CPU in my ThinkPad, but the ThinkPad shuts down in less than 10 seconds. I would expect the Compaq to be just as fast, shutting down.

Might there be a stuck process somewhere?

Have to agree with you, I had a stuck process yesterday with nautilus and it just wouldn't shut down at all. Five second press of the power button sorted my instance, but I knew what had caused the problem for it - just a rare anomaly :D

There must be some app that's sticking when you close down. It tries to do it nicely, then if it hasn't done that within the respective timescale it'll get killed.

• 2 months later...
Guest cage77

Hi all,

Ihave the same problem -is anybody to help me?-I have problem with turn off laptop ASUS A9RP on Mandriva2008-it means -Im using KDE and X11 i picked up on button to turnoff computer in KDE under standard user and system is going to turn off -everithing is running well (the disk was unmounted,sytem halted ...)but curor is blinking and is impossible to turn off automatically-only with power button on laptop;-(

IS ANYBODY HELP ME with this issue? - thanks a lot for helping....

PS:Before I used the Mandriva 2006 with any problem,everithings was run well...

------------------------------------------------

laptop mark and configuration:

ASUS A9RP

Intel Celeron 200M chipset - 1,6 Ghz

256 MB RAm

Shared graphic

60GB HDD

Edited by cage77

When the machine is shutting down press ESC so we can see what the last piece of information is on screen. We need a little more information, so pressing ESC to get the splash screen out of the way should help us with where it is failing. If no information on the screen, then check /var/log/messages next time you start your machine and see if anything is logged in there as to why shut down failed.