Screen flickers at login screen and gives shell login prompt

virtualspy

I have done this twice ...fresh install of Mandrake 9.1 and tested video settings during install as follows:

1) chose default (auto-detected) monitor/graphics card and boot to "x-free" login screen.

2) chose lesser (than auto-detected) screen resolution and tested ok.

During boot, I can almost see the login manager screen while the screen flickers, but then kicks me into a shell login screen instead.  I can login and manuver the computer using the terminal commands.

What's wrong, and how do I fix it?  Is there a more "generic" setting for the video I can use instead of what's auto-detected?

This really looks like bug 3081: http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3081

Easy fix:

# rm -f /etc/X11/XFConfig*

# XFdrake --auto --noexpert

(Choose XFree86-4.3, but don't test the settings)

# service dm restart

If you want to run XFree86-3.3.6 (maybe it supports hardware acceleration on your card), get the libqt3 RPMs from Tex's site.

Guest anthroadam

Ok,

Sorry. It's just that the subject of this thread, and other people's problems describe my problem exactly. That other thread you referred to is completely different.

I did some more searching on this problem and found that it occurs with a few different cards. Many people with the S3 card are able to get GNOME and ICEWM to work even though KDE will not.

I too am able to use GNOME, ICEWM, and Enlightenment by directing X to use them instead of kdm or mdkdm.

$ startx icewm

or

$ startx /usr/bin/startgnome

or

$ startx /usr/X11R6/bin/enlightenment

If one of these works and you don't mind using them you can then change your XF