Problems booting 2008 [solved]

dude67

And to Greg (thanks for your advice again): I did just that (urpmi kernel-doc), but the cat... -line did nothing for me. It just gave a blank terminal page.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you to do (as root)

updatedb

before running the other command.

I've just edited my other post with that info. :rolleyes:

To uninstall it or any other package, open Mandriva Control Centre then go ....Software Management then into installed software. In the search box type in acpi then click Search and it will bring up a list of packages that has acpi in it.

The acpi one will be ticked because it is installed so untick it and then click apply.

Close out then select Boot........Set up how the system boots.......then untick .Enable ACPI

click on Advanced then untick both Enable Apic and Enable Local Apic.

Click Next Highlight the line that has a leading *.( this is the default kernel you are currently using) then click on Modify

In the Append line remove all references to everything EXCEPT the splash=silent .

Click OK and then Finish. then close out of MCC.

Setting the Boot part is very important especially noting that every time you open Boot in MCC it will default to these darned settings which puts this darned stuff back in each time . So if you install later kernels and want to boot from them you may need to go to MCC Boot to select it so keep this note in mind.

Reboot.

You should now be ok.

Ian, I beg to differ, it is not needed on a desktop as I have proven in practice for the past 3 years.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn