lost icons

grimx

here is what happend , i downloaded a theme and installed it using the theme manager, and using

the theme manager i was switching icons and when i pressed kde low 16 my gnome desktop lost all

of my pannels and left just my icons, so i was unable to logout shutdown or even get back to the

theme manager, so i hit the power button on my pc tower and turned on my comp again, and

when i tried to log back into gnome it flashes the gnome splash screen and takes me back to the

login screen.

HELP :wall:

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

...so i was unable to logout shutdown or even get back to the

theme manager, so i hit the power button...

Most unwise move. You just had to press alt+ctrl+F1 up to alt+ctrl+F6 to bring on your screen a virtual terminal where you could login and pass commands.

It seems that this iconset borked your user Gnome settings- so login as root and delete (or bettter-move) the gnome folder from your user profile.

Do you know how to do that?

ok now what do i do next

i can login to gnome in console mode, how would i change my themes back?? maybe that will make so i

can login to gnome in graphics mode??

or, uninstall gnome then reinstall it, i don't know.

well i renamed the gnome files in root and restarted, then tryed to login to gnome and the problem

still remains.

Edited by grimx

i can login to gnome in console mode

How do you do that? :unsure:

All you have to do is

1. Logging in using a different window(or desktop) manager, eg KDE or XFCE or IceWM or whatever.

2. Firing up a filemanager (eg konqueror) and renaming the folder .gnome2 to something else, eg .gnome2old

Notice the dot before the foldername- this means the folder is hidden, and so you do have to enable showing hidden files at your filemanager to see it.

3. Now you can logout and then log back to Gnome, which will now use the default settings and theme.

And finally, you don't have to install/uninstall anything- just do not use the broken theme again!

Edited by scarecrow