a move from 2006.0 to 2007.1, on the way [solved]

_Qwerty_

Hello!

I have been on Mandriva 2006.0 a little too long, since the updates have expired. I have done a backup of my personal stuff and of all configurations files in /etc. And so I plugged in the freshly burned 2007.1 and when I got a chance to choose between install and upgrade, I choosed upgrade for the first time ever. I started with mandrake back in version 7 or 8 I think, and have always done fresh installs and after them put quite a lot of work in getting the system back with all configuration stuff for diffrent services.

At first it seemed possitive to do a upgrade now, I thought now I will have all those packages still there, just upgraded, no need to reinstall packages after packages and trying to remember what might have been forgotten. Usually it takes me about a week to get the server back to the way I want it.

After the upgrade (where it said it updated around 1200 packages), I couldent "su". If I did a "su <enter>" I got "su: incorrect password" and that error message came up before I even got a chance to type in a password. I also tried to do a "sudo su" then I got to type in my password, but the password dident work. I could access root only by login as root at console without starting a GUI. Another thing was that my "mandriva control center" or "Configure Your Computer" failed with an errormsg of "Unknown error."

When the updating was undergoing I sat and watched the screen and saw one error, a package called hal-info gave an "script error".

Anyway now Im going to do a clean install of 2007.1, as I have read on this forum this 1,5 year upgrade (from 2006.0 to 2007.1) means to mutch have changed. It's always good to know were I can seek help and advice, this forum is great for that.

Im confident it will work nice after doing a fresh install.

Edited by _Qwerty_

Hope you have good luck with the new install. Upgrades can be a bit painful, especially between older versions. They can be done, but requires you need to know a little more about what is under the hood. Mandrake 10.0 upgrading to something is a good example, since it was devfsd, and 10.1 and higher was udev. Once you realised this, it was not as painful for upgrading. I know, I did a few upgrades that failed, until I read a post where devfsd, and some errors I was getting suggested where I was going wrong. After it worked a treat :)

This wouldn't happen with Mandriva 2006 though, and should upgrade easily enough. But I would rather do in two stages, first to 2007.0 and then later to 2007.1. I did a 2007.0 upgrade to 2007.1 and it worked flawlessly.

I did a clean install, that worked fine! :D

But before that I noticed that a lot of packages couldent be installed, and I realized it was the dvd-reader that dident read the freshly made dvd-r as it should, so I had to jump in my car and go buy a new dvd unit for my mandriva server. And I think the old one had done its work fine since it came with a Compaq computer with an Intel Pentium2-400 MHz, and I think that was about 8 years ago. It has been a lot of water under the bridge since I first started with that dvd-rom reader.

This experience raised a question for me, I would want a software that could try and read the whole contents on a dvd-r or cd-r to make sure the reader is in good shape, and can read the disk without trouble. Is there such program? I had burned my mandriva 2007.1 free edition on one computer and installed it on another since the computer acting as my server dident have a dvd burner in it.

I reacted on an error message during boot of mandriva 2007.1. It was saying something like "critial error with IPv6" but I read that is a known error if one have disabled IPv6, and that I have done. So know I am not worried about it anymore.