Sidux 2007-03 Released

qandd

After less than 3 months of development, we are proud to announce the immediate availability of the sidux 2007-03 release for amd64 and i686 systems, shipping in a 440 MB lite KDE and a 700 MB full KDE flavor. sidux is a full featured Debian sid based live CD with a special focus on hard disk installations, a clean upgrade path within sid and additional hard- and software support.

announcement sidux.com

Sidux 2007-03 must be the fastest most responsive live CD I have ever tried. I was very impressed with it, and would love to see it installed to the hard drive. Just wish it was Gnome out of the box.

I'm tried it and must say I'm a little bit disappointed. Somehow it crashes on graphical card, which is a ATi Radeon X700.

It seems to have a lot of problems with this card, even the failsafe-option has the same problem.

It's a shame, as I had some what higher expectations of this release.

If you read the release announcement, it clearly mentions that the newest Radeon models may need "xmodule=vesa" or "xmodule=fbdev" as cheatcode, due to trouble of the proprietary Radeon driver with xorg 7.2

The initial release had sound trouble due to a last minute xine-lib update... This is fixed in sidux-2007-03.1 - if you have already downloaded 2007.03 you can get xdelta patches to fix the ISO.

It works fine here (after patching the first downloaded ISO's with xdelta), sound is working, display is working, setting static IP's for my router is a piece of cake...

By default it does not load any proprietary display drivers (in my case- nvidia), and resolution does not go over 1024*768, but you can take care of it using cheatcodes at bootup.

That aside, EVERYTHING is working- I think Sidux is a very worthy successor of Kanotix. Surely enough Debian Sid is not for everyone, but its bugs are really manageable (way easier than under Cooker or the regular OpenSuSE betas), and the Sidux-specific packages are of really high quality. Thumbs up from me.