alsa freezes on start

Urza9814

So I was trying to get wengo to work...so at some point I attempted running it as root, and since then my alsa has been toasted. I've tried re-running all the various methods of configuring it...I've tried simply rebooting several times...and I even tried a 'grep -C 1 alsa /var/log/*/*', but it doesn't appear that it outputs anything to the log while it's starting up. Anyways, I try to run it, and all I get is this:

[root@localhost urza9814]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsa start
Starting ALSA version 1.0.12:

Anyone know any way I could get more info or attempt to fix this?

So I installed alsa-driver-1.0.14, the latest version, and it still failed, though it failed with output this time. Here's the dmesg:

snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_free_irq
snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk
snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_request_irq
snd_intel8x0: Unknown symbol snd_free_irq
snd_intel8x0: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk
snd_intel8x0: Unknown symbol snd_pci_quirk_lookup
snd_intel8x0: Unknown symbol snd_request_irq

So after screwing with that a while, googling it with a series of the same problem solved by either reboot or with no answer given, I tried going back and installing over it with alsa-driver-1.0.12rc3, which is giving me the same problem as before.

Oh, here's an interesting development: I set it to use the OSS drivers is mcc, and it freezes up there too. (not the computer, just alsa. says applying settings forever)

Other information recently learned:

It was trying to use the 2.6.17.13mdv kernel sources, when I'm on 2007.0 and therefore use 2.6.17.5mdv. I recompiled both with the older kernel sources and booted with the older kernel sources (somehow I now have options for both in grub). alsa 1.0.14 still gives me the same error, 1.0.12rc3 still freezes. However, I'm now down to one problem in the dmesg:

snd_intel8x0: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk

However, my emu10k1 card I can't even get to output an error message. Just flat out doesn't work.

Ah! So for some reason alsaconf, though it is the 1.0.12 version, is using alsasound instead of alsa. Which confuses the hell out of me, because I actually completely removed alsasound from the /etc/init.d directory. So does anyone know how to get alsaconf to go back to the older alsa version? Or just how to uninstall alsa 1.0.14 installed from a tarball?

If you still have the directory you put the tarball in, just do make uninstall in it. If not, download the exact same version, do the exact same ./configure, and then do the make uninstall. Obviously, you'll need to be root. As far as getting the alsasound back into /etc/init.d - I'd just reinstall alsa, that should do it (I think).

ok, that was a bit helpful...but...well, here's the output of /etc/init.d/alsasound stop:

Loading driver...
Shutting down sound driver: /usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1163: No soundcards found...
ERROR: Module snd_emu10k1 is in use
ERROR: Module snd_rawmidi is in use by snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd_ac97_codec is in use by snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd_ac97_bus is in use by snd_ac97_codec
ERROR: Module snd_pcm is in use by snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec
ERROR: Module snd_seq_device is in use by snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
ERROR: Module snd_timer is in use by snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
ERROR: Module snd_util_mem is in use by snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd_hwdep is in use by snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd is in use by snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_seq_device,snd_timer,snd_hwde

done
ALSA driver is already running.
Setting default volumes...
ALSA lib control.c:910:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory

Problem is, I still have no sound no matter what I try (running alsaconf, changing what card it uses, rebooting, starting and stopping alsa and alsasound, and even reinstalling the alsa-driver and alsa-utils packages)...and I can't figure out how it could possibly be in use.

Here's the relevant parts of dmesg:

[root@localhost urza9814]# dmesg | grep alsa
ALSA /home/urza9814/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.12rc3/usb/usbaudio.c:1278: 3:2:1: cannot set freq 48000 to ep 0x83

[root@localhost urza9814]# dmesg | grep snd
usbcore: registered new driver snd-usb-audio
Modules linked in: ndiswrapper af_packet video thermal processor fan container button battery ac ide_cd binfmt_misc ipv6 loop ntfs nls_utf8 nls_cp437 vfat fat dm_mod amd64_agp agpgart evdev tsdev usbmouse usbhid snd_usb_audio snd_pcm snd_timer snd_page_alloc snd_usb_lib snd_rawmidi snd_seq_device quickcam snd_hwdep snd videodev soundcore ehci_hcd usblp ohci_hcd usbcore ext3 jbd sd_mod sata_uli libata scsi_mod
usbcore: deregistering driver snd-usb-audio