System Beep [solved]

malfist

I'm not exactly sure where to put this so move it if it is needed.

My computer doesn't seem to make the default 'beep'. Even using "\7" (in C) does nothing. How can I fix this, why wasn't thins working out of the box? Should it have been?

Malfist

edit: it doesn't work for any program and IS enabled in System->Pref->Sound->System Beep

Edited by malfist

I have never been able to get this thing to work either since about 4 versions back of Mandriva.

Have given up worrying about it. The only beep I always take notice of is the one during the boot up from the BIOS, very important.

Cheers. John.

What Linux are you using ??. The path you mention doesn't seem to gel with Mandriva-Spring.

In future do yourself and everyone else a favour by including including such details. It makes it a heck of a lot easier for us to help you when we know where you are coming from.

JB

Edited by AussieJohn

What Linux are you using ??. The path you mention doesn't seem to gel with Mandriva-Spring.

In future do yourself and everyone else a favour by including including such details. It makes it a heck of a lot easier for us to help you when we know where you are coming from.

JB

Hi John,

I'm not sure I know what you mean. I too run Mandriva One Spring, and I do see the path System->Pref->Sound->System Beep. Is it what you referred to? Maybe there is a difference between the Mandriva One and the full DVD? Hard for me to believe. Ah! Do you use Gnome? Maybe there is a difference between Gnome and KDE? Sounds more like it, if you asked me.

I think I'm running the 2007 version, I'm not sure, how can I check?

edit: I downloaded it last spring or winter, not sure which.

Try Applications -> System -> Configure Your Computer. Type root's password. What is the title you see on the upper frame of the MCC (Mandriva Control Center) window?

Hello Yossarian.

I am using KDE so I guess that is why I cannot see it. I do not have Gnome installed to check it out.

With KDE I don't miss too many things but Gnome is a different matter.

I did do the pcspkr thing and don't know what to expect at this point. (rebooted)

Cheers. John.

In KDE you go KDE Control Centre then Sound and Multimedia then System Bell then a tick in the box. Press Test to be sure it works.

Of course the box tick means you get the beep instead of the System Notification. The choice is yours. I'm going to try it for a while to see which suits best.

JB

Edited by AussieJohn

Hello Yossarian.

I am using KDE so I guess that is why I cannot see it. I do not have Gnome installed to check it out.

With KDE I don't miss too many things but Gnome is a different matter.

I did do the pcspkr thing and don't know what to expect at this point. (rebooted)

Cheers. John.

If you added pcspkr to /etc/modprobe.preload, this module should load after reboot. To see it working, eg, open konsole then go Settings->Bell-> check System Bell, then hit Backspace in the empty command prompt - you should hear bell coming from the internal PC speaker, instead of speakers connected to the soundcard.

If you use only Gnome/KDE apps, this sounds like an unnecessary feature, but in Emacs, xterm, etc, I think, you won't get the system beep unless the pcspkr module is loaded.