USB detection problems

Guest beerendan

Guest beerendan

Hi - I cannot seem to find any forum topic that specifically deals with my problem - I have Mandriva Free 2007.0 - iv urpmi'd it to bits and still when I plug any number of my usb devices (from hard drives to memory sticks, cameras etc) they are not detected more often than they are. Its become a real point of frustration as I am considering buying an external hard drive to hold all my music but i dont want to buy finding that it says nothings there. I am not extremely proficient with Linux but I have reasonable experience - all i literally want is for my hotplugable devices to be just that!! In the start up verbose it indicates that mass storage is detected but wen fully loaded - zip. Oh and yes my usb stuff works perfectly in windows XP which iv luckily held on to. Mandriva is perfect bar this one problem - major problem...

Do you use one of the ports on the PC or do you have a hub? I have a similar problem when I am using a 4-port USB hub. The keyboard and mouse work fine since the day they were plugged in, but my Palm pilot often fails to connect, and I have a string of error messages in /var/log/messages about the device not accepting address. Once I connected directly to one of the ports on the PC, the problem's gone...

Another amusing story about USB: I have a nice `space saver' mousepad with a USB hub which is not detected at all - the same message again "the device not accepting address, error -71" etc.