Logitech webcam on Mandriva 2007 (Spring - one)

Guest Kolea

Guest Kolea

I have a Toshiba laptop Satellite M45-S169. I have installed Mandriva 2007 with KDE desktop. I have a logitech notebook webcam. When I plug it in and run lsusb I see:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:08d8 Logitech, Inc.

I would like to use this webcam with Kopete.

I have tried installing dkms-gspca driver via the Mandriva application install menu however I am not sure what to do next. As it is Kopete and Wengo do not recognize the device.

dmesg yields:

usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2

usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

usbcore: registered new driver snd-usb-audio

when I plug in the camera.

As a root user I tried making the file in the usr/src/gspca-1.00.12-2mdv2007.1/ directory however I get this error:

/lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdvlegacy/build: No such file or directory. Stop.

After spending several hours on this I am truly at a loss as to how to install and use a webcam with Mandriva.

Help would be much appreciated.

Do you have this installed - dkms-gspcav1 ? Also, what kernel are you using? In console type: uname -a . You might need to update the kernel, because if I remember, there was a problem with one, that did not give web cam connections.

Guest Kolea
Do you have this installed - dkms-gspcav1 ? Also, what kernel are you using? In console type: uname -a . You might need to update the kernel, because if I remember, there was a problem with one, that did not give web cam connections.

Thanks for the quick response!

After doing some searching, it seems like the best thing for me to do is to install this kernel: kernel-multimedia-laptop-2.6.17.14-5mdv

However I have not had much luck with that.

All that I want to do is use the software that comes installed on Mandriva. Since Wengo, Kopete, and USB support are all included with Mandriva, one would assume that the webcam/ mic would work out of the box. After spending two and a half days futzing around with this I am seriously disappointed that there is no solution that does not require hard-core hacking to make this work.

However I have not had much luck with that.
How so? Perhaps we can provide some advice...

All that I want to do is use the software that comes installed on Mandriva. Since Wengo, Kopete, and USB support are all included with Mandriva, one would assume that the webcam/ mic would work out of the box.
Even though all those things are supported, you still need a driver for the device that you are trying to use, otherwise the OS has no idea how to handle the messages it receives from the hardware, or how to send message to the hardware (basically, the driver - module in Linux terms - interfaces between the OS and the device). You also have to keep in mind that Logitech does not provide Linux drivers, so any drivers you find for their webcams a being written by the OSS community - without necessarily having access to the needed specs for the device. So somethings just don't work.

If you could be more specific about the model of Logitech webcam you have, we may be able to provide more thorough instructions on getting it to work - as far as I can see, there is not logitech webcam named "logitech notebook webcam" - there is a logitech quickcam notebook, but we still need the model number. You should be able to find this information on the device itself, usually a label of some sort.

I did some research and found that, specifically, you're using the Logitech Notebook Deluxe webcam. So far I've only read about installing the driver you discussed doing in the original post.