M 9.1. installation - bootloader on floppy doesn't work

Guest numismaati

Guest numismaati

As a complete newbie to linux i was very pleased with the installation-routine of M 9.1. Bamboo. Until one point:

During install i was asked to give information about the bootloader and where it should be placed. For a matter of beginners's fear to destroy my current w2k-partition i decided to place the bootloader onto a floppy-disk. Aufter something was written onto the inserted disk the installation procedure asekd me to restart the system und thereby complete installation.

Sadly the only thing happening was my machine booting up from floppy showing the message:

L 99 99 99 (all the screen filled up with these 99)

So i looked up the usenet-postings concerning this problem and learned that this was a lilo error alert. /etc/lilo.conf seems not to work properly (how come, since the installation procedure of M9.1 did the configuration?)...

For i have no idea how to edit lilo.conf without being able even to boot M 9.1., i decided to give GRUB a try.

Unfortunately booting from floppy using GRUB gave me the following error on screen:

GRUB GEOM ERROR

Can somebody give me advice how to solve the problem. Intending to get away from M$ i am very eager to get a working linux-system and get into the whole linux-thing and learn to use and administer it.

P.S.: Even my attempt not to boot from floppy but from /dev/hda1 lead to the same failure message (as posted above).

P.P.S.: I already used the "search" function to look up the existing postings in this forum, but i didn't get hints that helped in my case....

I suppose you have a system with Windows already installed on it...

You can use the MBR section of your computer without any problem instead of floppy....

You can use the installdisks of Mandrake to help you maybe...put in the first installdisk and at the prompt: "boot>" type rescue instead of going to install-mode.... When in rescuemode choose "reinstall bootloader".

If this not works(maybe it tries to acces your floppy again...), I suppose you can try to go into rescuemode again, but then choose to go into consolemode and try it from there, but that's if the first thing doesn't works.....

Do you have a zip drive, card reader or any other removable storage peripheral that linux treats as a mass storage device? These types of devices can cause this type of error. If so, try disconnecting the device and rebooting or booting either with or without the removable media present.

Guest numismaati

@pmpatrick

i have a usb card reader for my digicam which i will try to unplug this time...

@Michel

you're right, i've got a system with W2K already installed. For Mandrake, i prepared a 35G - Partition on a disk with total 60G (rest is used by w2k).

The "rescue"-Thing in connection with "reinstall bootloader" (available after pressing F1 in the installation splashscreen) didn't help - just the same error afterwards.

What exactly do you mean by "try it from consolemode" ?