Keyboard navigation

Guest Glimps

Guest Glimps

I have installed MCN Live Toronto on a usb key. I need to make a few modifications to the installed packages and the look and feel of the system. So far so good, I've managed to do all the modification to the system: Add french language, install all the extra softwares, remove the fat, but I can't figure out how to enable the keyboard navigation at boot time, like on the live CD. I've copied the isolinux.cfg from the live cd to my syslinux.cfg on my usb stick but no results.

Here's my syslinux.cfg:

default persist

timeout 550
prompt menu
menu background splash.jpg
menu title Welcome to MCNLive!
menu color border 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color sel 0 #80ffffff #20ffffff
menu color title 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color tabmsg 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color unsel 0 #ffffffff #00000000
menu color hotsel 0 #ff000000 #ffffffff
menu color hotkey 0 #ffffffff #ff000000
label livecd
menu label Boot with default settings
   kernel vmlinuz
   append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 vga=788 keyb=us splash=verbose
label vesa
menu label Boot with vesa video mode
   kernel vmlinuz
   append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 vga=788 keyb=us olddetect vesa
label copy2ram
menu label Boot -copying entire system to RAM
   kernel vmlinuz
   append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 vga=788 keyb=us splash=verbose copy2ram
label persist
menu label Boot with persistent changes with vesa
   kernel vmlinuz
   append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 vga=788 keyb=us splash=verbose persist vesa
label ntfsrw
menu label Boot - mounting NTFS read-write
   kernel vmlinuz
   append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 vga=788 keyb=us splash=verbose ntfsrw
label safeboot
menu label Safeboot - noapic acpi=off olddetect
   kernel vmlinuz
   append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 olddetect acpi=off vga=788 keyb=us noapic nolapic noscsi nopcmcia nomce irqpoll
label fromusb
menu label Boot from USB
   kernel vmlinuz
   append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 vga=788 keyb=us splash=verbose fromusb

With this code I can boot my USB stick but I don't get the menu. I figured out the bootloader was Lilo so I tried a couple of things from lilo's documentation, nothing on that side either.

Do I need to recompile something? is there an option when building the USB key to change?

any idea?

TIA

Edited by Glimps

The usb key setup has intentionally not the graphical isolinux/syslinux bootscreen because in some cases it prevents the usb booting.

1. The bootloader is not lilo, but syslinux

2. You need to copy the /usr/lib/syslinux/splash.jpg to the root dir of the usb stick

3. Copy the file /usr/lib/syslinux/vesamenu.c32 to the root dir of the usb stick

4. You need to edit the syslinux.cfg file, adding in all single append lines this: fromusb

Example:

append livecd=livecd initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/rd/3 vga=788 keyb=us splash=verbose fromusb

... and even with these changes I am not sure if it will work.

PS: with your quoted syslinux.cfg it is absolutely impossible to boot from usb. :o

Edited by anna

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.