Reiserfs partition hosed

Guest josetann

Guest josetann

I just created this partition on /dev/hdb1 while in Mandrake 9.0 and backed up my entire /home directory to it. Then I rebooted, and did a clean install of Mandrake 9.1. I don't think I chose anything in setup that would wipe out the partition, I do remember selecting the option that let me choose how to partition the drive (just to verify what I had, I made no changes to either disk) then told it to format the /dev/hdb3 partition (my root partition), it never asked to format /dev/hdb1, so I assume it did not do anything there. Once I booted into 9.1, it kept giving me an error when I tried to mount /dev/hdb1. I have the correct /etc/fstab entries, this is what mount gives me:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,

or too many mounted file systems

I ran diskdrake, at first it didn't know reiserfs was there, but once I added the appropriate line in /etc/fstab it detected the partition fine, but still won't mount. I've tried reiserfsck, it tells me:

reiserfs_open: neither new nor old reiserfs format found on /dev/hdb1

reiserfsck: Cannot not open filesystem on "/dev/hdb1

I then tried fdisk to change the partition id (had to use 83, which is linux, found this info while googling)...no change, diskdrake sees the partition, but that's about it. Even tried parted, it states:

Error: Could not detect file system.

Any ideas?

I've had a prob with 9.0 where, after you tell it to format it says "partition table of hdbx is going to be written to disk" (or something) so I'd say OK and get another message saying I have to reboot for the changes to take effect. OK....so after a reboot you open diskdrake to find the partition was never formatted :? . You can then format it, and mount it just fine. I don't know why it doesn't format the first time. Sounds like this is what you did. Not sure though.

I just created this partition on /dev/hdb1 while in Mandrake 9.0 and backed up my entire /home directory to it.  Then I rebooted, and did a clean install of Mandrake 9.1.  I don't think I chose anything in setup that would wipe out the partition, I do remember selecting the option that let me choose how to partition the drive (just to verify what I had, I made no changes to either disk) then told it to format the /dev/hdb3 partition (my root partition), it never asked to format /dev/hdb1, so I assume it did not do anything there.  Once I booted into 9.1, it kept giving me an error when I tried to mount /dev/hdb1.  I have the correct /etc/fstab entries, this is what mount gives me:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,

or too many mounted file systems

Can you restate this?

Did you select custom partitioning? What partitions did you have prior to starting (all of them)? What partitions did you select for /?

I ran diskdrake, at first it didn't know reiserfs was there, but once I added the appropriate line in /etc/fstab it detected the partition fine, but still won't mount.  I've tried reiserfsck, it tells me:

reiserfs_open: neither new nor old reiserfs format found on /dev/hdb1

reiserfsck: Cannot not open filesystem on "/dev/hdb1

I then tried fdisk to change the partition id (had to use 83, which is linux, found this info while googling)...no change, diskdrake sees the partition, but that's about it.  Even tried parted, it states:

Error: Could not detect file system.

Any ideas?

fstab has nothing to do with diskdrake in terms of helping diskdrake figure out a partition. There is a sector at the beginning of the drive that contains a "partition table". This table contains an entry per partition. Entry 83 is a linux partition although it doesn't tell you what kind of file system is on it. Fstab is used to tell your mandrake linux OS what file systems to automatically mount on startup so you can actually boot.

One possibility is that whatever steps you took, you didn't properly identify the / boot partition and it selected the first partition hdb1 and installed on that.

Here's something to try..

1. Open a terminal

2. Type in diskdrake and click ok.

3. Click the MORE button.

4. Click SAVE Partition table and save to a file such as pt.txt.

5. Open with an editor. You might have to use vi or something that can handle binary data (gedit couldn't deal with it).

Inside, you will see your partition table in structured format (easy to read). You can post that here, it would help!

I've had a prob with 9.0 where, after you tell it to format it says "partition table of hdbx is going to be written to disk" (or something) so I'd say OK and get another message saying I have to reboot for the changes to take effect. OK....so after a reboot you open diskdrake to find the partition was never formatted  . You can then format it, and mount it just fine. I don't know why it doesn't format the first time. Sounds like this is what you did. Not sure though.
I had exactly the same problem during LM9.1 installation (see http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3892 ). So I guess this MS windows style bug has been there since LM9.0. Thanks for the info.

Guest josetann

Ok, to clarify a few things:

Mandrake 9.1 did not install to /dev/hdb1, it installed to /dev/hda3. I went to custom partitioning only to check the partitions it showed, I made no changes there. Diskdrake did not recognize /dev/hdb1 as reiserfs until I put an entry in /etc/fstab. Whether that should make a difference or not, it did (or else it was a very strange coincidence that it recognized it only after I edited /etc/fstab).

Here's the contents of pt.txt, thanks for the tip:

$h = [

{

'info' => undef,

'normal' => [

{

'options' => 'defaults',

'start_cyl' => 0,

'size' => 80035767,

'start_head' => 1,

'mntpoint' => '/mnt/hd',

'active' => 128,

'minor' => 65,

'device' => 'hdb1',

'start_sec' => 1,

'end_head' => 254,

'devfs_device' => 'ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1',

'passno' => '',

'freq' => '1',

'comment' => undef,

'end_sec' => 255,

'rootDevice' => 'hdb',

'end_cyl' => 255,

'type' => 387,

'major' => 3,

'start' => 63

}

],

'nb_special_empty' => 0,

'extended' => undef,

'raw' => [

{},

{

'active' => 0,

'device' => 'hdb2',

'start_cyl' => 0,

'size' => 0,

'start_sec' => 0,

'end_head' => 0,

'devfs_device' => 'ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part2',

'start_head' => 0,

'end_sec' => 0,

'end_cyl' => 0,

'type' => 0,

'start' => 0

},

{

'active' => 0,

'device' => 'hdb3',

'start_cyl' => 0,

'size' => 0,

'start_sec' => 0,

'end_head' => 0,

'devfs_device' => 'ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part3',

'start_head' => 0,

'end_sec' => 0,

'end_cyl' => 0,

'type' => 0,

'start' => 0

},

{

'active' => 0,

'device' => 'hdb4',

'start_cyl' => 0,

'size' => 0,

'start_sec' => 0,

'end_head' => 0,

'devfs_device' => 'ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part4',

'start_head' => 0,

'end_sec' => 0,

'end_cyl' => 0,

'type' => 0,

'start' => 0

}

]

},

[],

undef,

undef

];

$h->[0]{'raw'}[0] = $h->[0]{'normal'}[0];

Looking at your partition table, you only have hdb1. The other 3 primaries are not defined.

The partition type is 387 or in hex 0x183. I just learned from researching this that the partition type in linux does not define the file system type as it does in windows. Here's a table to look at if you find this interesting.

What happens if you try to mount this with

mount -t auto /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hd

??

Guest josetann

Thanks for all the help! I seem to have gotten it to work, somehow. I deleted the /etc/fstab line like you suggested, now diskdrake recognized it but as ext3. I know I chose Reiserfs, but what the hell. Anyways it will now mount and everything looks intact.

I dunno if it's the drive or if it was the version of diskdrake that came with 9.0 but it's given me several problems. At first when I was partitioning it, it setup two partitions that both took up the full size of the drive (I have a 40gig drive, both partitions showed up as having a size of 38gig). Something must have gone wacko at that point, sorry for the hassle.

If this has happened to anyone else before I can give more details about my system...I know right off the drive is a Maxtor 40gig 7200rpm, but not sure of the model number offhand.

Thanks Cannonfodder for the excellent reference on hex values for partition types.

For future reference on the reiserfs issue, you may want to look at this site: http://www.gnu.parted.org where you will see that parted is now available in .img form with the addition of tool files for ext3 and reisers, IIRC. You make two disks, one a boot, the other with the guts of parted, allowing the manipulation of unmounted partitions greatly simplifying things when you need to reach for parted.

Counterspy