Strange error message - please help

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

Hello

I used v8.2 when it first came out and loved it. Then came 9.0 and like a lot of other people, I stopped using it because it contained a number of bugs. When 9.1 was released the other day I downloaded and burned 3 CD's and installed it. It was a beautiful specimen of software except that upon booting (when the text is scrolling down the screen) I kept seeing the following...

"ldm_validate_partition_table() disk read failed"

When the desktop finally did appear, a lot of the menu links did not work when clicked. There were a few other problems as well. Anyway, so after some thought, I surmised that perhaps the problem was the hard drive and so I replaced it and reinstalled Mandrake Linux v9.1. Same problem. Eventually, I replace4d the CD ROM drive and this time it installed and worked perfectly. However, the same thing has recently begun happening again (ie; same "ldm_validate" message) and I'm just not sure what is causing this. I did notice during installation that I could choose from various softwares to install and one of those softwares was something called "ldm". Did I make a mistake here?.

I also noticed that from the CMOS settings I could select normal, large and large block addressing. Would this have anything to do with it?. Mandrake linux v9.1 turned out to be aq wonderful piece of software - I just wish I knwew how to correct that error.

Thank you so much!!

I get the "ldm_validate_partition_table() disk read failed" message too, its because of my Smart Media reader. If its attached during boot, but has not card in it, it produces that message. If there is a card in reader then I don't get the message. My housemate has an internal Zip drive, and it causes the same problem (with same solution).

Guest greeneggs
I get the "ldm_validate_partition_table() disk read failed"  message too, its because of my Smart Media reader.  If its attached during boot, but has not card in it, it produces that message.  If there is a card in reader then I don't get the message.  My housemate has an internal Zip drive, and it causes the same problem (with same solution).

Hi there

I've been trying to access this forum for hours now but it would just hang on me. Finally, I noticed (quite by accident) that I could access it if I simply typing "index.php" at the end of the URL. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank's. You were right. I do have a zip drive and as soon as I put a disk in it and rebooted Mandrake Linux v9.1 the problem dissapeared and everything works great. Unlike previous versions of Mandrake (and even RedHat), I notice that with Mandrake v9.1, I can download just about any software program and install it without getting all kinds of error messages or having to worry endlessly about dependancies. This is truly the best piece of Linux software I've seen in a long time!!.

- Peace

It was announced some time ago, but it would have helped if it had been done recently. I have been using the back door since Saturday. Perhaps on the same line as the April Fool joke instead of that would have clued the regulars in sooner. Also the redirect could have been disabled during the upgrade. At least your post clears the issue up.

Counterspy

• 5 months later...

this is SO weird. i rebooted my desktop for the first time in a long while, and upon reboot i couldn't get ANYWHERE, it just gave me about 10 bazillion of the error message "ldm_validate_partition_table disk read failed"

i spent about 4 hours poring over my lilo.conf, fstab, anything i could think of but couldn't figure it out. (the 9.1 install disks work as rescue disks in a pinch, but they don't have much in the way of useful utilities on them).

borrowed someone else's computer and found this thread... and now the problem's solved. i unplugged my compact flash reader and it booted up just like always. the weird thing is that i'm SURE i've booted with the reader empty before, because I remember thinking it was cool that XP would never boot with the reader plugged in, but mandrake would. what could've caused the change? i suppose anything in the last few months since the last reboot?

thanks to mtweidman for solving this problem 6 months ago :> (now if i'd only read this thread before)