IMAP not working? [solved]

Guest adamf

Guest adamf

Dear All,

Just upgraded from 2007 to 2007.1

Having fixed the su problem & living with the fact that other things which need SU don't seem to work (e.g. I have to open a console, su to root & then type drakconf to get that to work I have noticed that my IMAP server doesn't work. It's the std IMAP & not cyrus.

Could this be part of the same PAM problem which the other apps which need a higher level of permission seem to run into (e.g. opening drakconf from the icon vs the konsole-su-drakconf method above)?

With every mail client I have tried, I just get "connection refused". I've looked through the logs & not much seems to be written there.

e.g. I've tailed the major log files & tried to log in with both kmail & thunderbird...but nothing seems to twitch.

Any ideas?

Adam

sorry, nothing direct, but I thought I'd mention that most people seem to use dovecot on MDV, and personally I use courier. I can vouch that courier works fine, and several Cooker list members are running dovecot with no problems. You might want to try one of those instead?

Guest adamf
sorry, nothing direct, but I thought I'd mention that most people seem to use dovecot on MDV, and personally I use courier. I can vouch that courier works fine, and several Cooker list members are running dovecot with no problems. You might want to try one of those instead?

Thanks I'll have a look (though curl is failing to get the contrib hdlist from all the sites I've tried so for (downloads all 50 odd mb...then fails...)).

BTW any idea why 2007.1 has such a hosed perms system? e.g. if on the command line, anything where I used to get a "requires root password" prompt e.g. "shutdown" now silently fails & does nothing, requiring me t actively su & then issue the command.

It is a bit worrying that something so central esp to administrators is seemingly so hosed from kde-su right down to commandline prompts if wishing to run a command which requires root perms.

Hopefully it all stems from the same source/corrupt file & one quick update & it's fixed.....

Adam

Hello,

I use BincIMAP and it just works :) Just intall, then start xinetd and that's all. BincIMAP is based on the Maildir format, that is your mail is stored in "~/Maildir/". Postfix can easily be configured (a single line to change) to use this format too.

Yves.

Guest adamf
adamf: I suspect that may be this issue:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr..._not_working.29

Fixed the problem.....not in the way I thought though.

Firstly I fixed the above redoing the various PAM config files...hurrah all desktop etc perm problems fixed however....I still could not get dovecot to work for love nor money. If I changed the dovecot file in PAM as per the new way of doing things it would still fail....anyway so I decided to fall back on the good old IMAP server as the PAM etc for that seemed to be fine....

The problem resolved itself to be a corrupted xinetd as I was looking through the services when I noticed that xinetd was no longer running & would fail upon start. So I uninstalled it (along with all it's dependencies such as CUPS & subversion) & then reinstalled & suddenly IMAP spring to life....

Adam