Beagle on 2007.1

RVDowning

There seems to be a replacement for kat called beagle (going to the dogs? :huh: ) which gets installed automatically on 2007.1. I heard my disk drive churning and that is what it was, so I disabled it. However, I notice that items continue to run after start up like beagled, and beagled helper. How do I prevent these from running? I didn't see them in system services.

beagle came before kat, it is where they got the idea for kat. just a little clarification ;)

As far as your problem, did you check the services in the Mandriva Control Center to see if there are any other services listed relating to beagle? There may be one that doesn't seem to have a similar name. beagled is the service (beagle daemon) that runs in the background, so you'd think turning off beagle would also stop the service, but I guess not :unsure:

Also note that after the first initial indexing of your drives (well, files, actually), beagle really shouldn't cause a great amount of hard drive "churning". i used it for a few months, and found it to be very helpful.

Went through each service shown in MCC, but can't find anything that should be kicking off beagled and beagled-helper. It is a nuisance to have to kill them each time I bring up the system.
Uninstall beagle maybe? Edited by Mhn

I haven't upgraded to 2007.1 yet, but I have tried beagle in another distro. I had the same problem with the HD churning away after my daily bootup for a week. I thought that a week was sufficient to index my drive... so I removed it.

I haven't upgraded to 2007.1 yet, but I have tried beagle in another distro. I had the same problem with the HD churning away after my daily bootup for a week. I thought that a week was sufficient to index my drive... so I removed it.
It's probably looking for updates. Beagle is probably more useful to people who don't regularly shut down their system, as it should be setup to run at some time when most people aren't using their systems (like 4am). There is likely a process that kicks this off, but I'd have to look deeper into Mandriva's setup to figure out exactly what. When I installed beagle myself (on a different distribution) I believe I had to kick off the "cacheing" process myself.