Ati installation and more problems

Guest Moldy

Guest Moldy

im running mandriva 2006 the free version on my computer...and i believe I am running the 64bit verson because i have a 64bit athlon processor..when i try to install my graphic card drivers for my ati radion 9200 it installs all the way and the old drivers are still on there and ati control panel wont work. and also when i go to install Cedega it says "Some packages requested connot be installed: (file) (due to unsatisfied dbus-python)" and also limewire wont install and it gives me another error saying pretty much the same thing exept (due to unsatisfied j2re[>=1.4.1]) im relitively new to linux and i am getting alot of the stuff. and i dont really want to switch back to the devils O.S. so if you could help me i would really appreciate it....

Hi, moldy, I replied to your PM, I don't use ati so I am not the person to answer you question on that, but someone will come along to help you out. But try out what I said about the Cedega and Limewire stuff, and if that doesn't work, just post back and someone will be able to get you sorted I'm sure.

Oh, and welcome aboard :D

Guest Moldy

i tired that easy urpmi and that didnt really do anything..i tried all my installations again and nothing happened...and i dont know how to uninstall my old graphic card drivers to try and install the new ones...i even tried installing them in failsafe...with the init 3 thingy and it says some sort of error sent to a log...ill check it and post what it says

file is called fglrx-install.log

[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.

[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.

[Error] Kernel Module : No kernel module build environment - please consult readme.

Please post any advice here so we know what's been tried and what works/doesn't work...thanks.

Forgive me, I didn't respond here, because at the time I received the PM from Moldy, there was no post here to reply to.

I haven't got a copy of the reply I sent to Moldy, Moldy can post the contents if he wishes, but it went something like this, (condensed)

I don't use ati, so I don't really know, but, I would uninstall the old one before installing the new one, nvidia does this automatically, wouldn't have a clue about ati.

For Cedega, I suggested he use MCC Software Manager, set up his repositories, and then search for what was 'unsatisfied', in this case 'dbus-python' and install it, I also suggested that he may need to install the devel package for that also, then try to install Cedega again.

For Limewire I just basically said the same thing as I did for Cedega above, install the java package, and then retry the Limewire installation.

I also told him, that I was basically a Linux newbie myself, and may not be the best person to be asking, however I was happy to help as much as I could, and that there were many far, far more capable people on the forums who could help him better than I could, and not to be worried about posting questions on the boards.

Guest Moldy

i made a kinda foolish error and i think it may be why urpmi didnt work...i got cedega to install and i had to use the dbus-python install for the i586 version and i installed the urpmi x86_64 and i think thats why it may not work...so i uninstalled it and im trying the other one

.....I shouldnt have dont that

i tired that easy urpmi and that didnt really do anything

You can either click the 'Easy-Urpmi' link at the top of this page, or go to the site via this link

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Select your version etc, proceed to step 2, select your sources, (you can selct them all if you wish, however might be a good idea if you stay away from 'backports' for now) just select the top 4, main, main_updates, contrib, contrib_updates, they may be selected by default, then from the drop down box, select a mirror, one close to you may be best, you can enter a prefix if you wish, and if you put a tick in the check box 'Use compressed index, much smaller than normal, with less informations' the info download will be much smaller/faster, proceed to step 3, open a konsole, type su, hit enter, type your 'root' password, and then enter the info that is displayed at step 3, let it do it's thing, close the konsole, open MCC Software Manager, select 'Look at installable software' and search for the required packages as suggested, and install them etc

Guest Moldy

ok...i basicly figured everything out...i got limewire and cedega to work...i updated everything last night, it was 200 packages....(thank you cable internet) but i dont know about the ati drivers...im going to try them in a minute to see what happens

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Moldy

Well i just installed mandriva 2007 and the easy urpmi...im going to install cedega, limewire, and my ati drivers in a bit..it says on ati that the drivers are only compatible with xorg 7.1 but mandriva uses 7.2?!? and i always crash and have to reinstall mandriva when i try...