9.1 and ADSL connection

klemm

Hi

Second try went ok form me when i made clean install. First try (upgrade) naturally ended without graphics as because of Nvidia drivers.

Now I still have a problem get connected to internet.

eth0 connected to external ADSL modem.

eth1 connected to LAN.

Opened shorewall totally to make sure it wont disturb, but jet NoGo.

In MCC it says that connection type is LAN, and I dont even see any option to change it.. in 9.0 I had no problem to get connected (using ppp0)

No matter if I use expert modes or not there is no change in connection setting.

Now what ? how to make it connected.

Actually I have made a backup from my 9.0 /etc directory

but i am not very used to the command line and files... difficulties to understand those. Still can I overwrite the /etc/ppp directory with 9.0 setting, or shall it cause another conflict. Or does it solve something ?

I would apprechiate any advise on that

klemm

Guest chancm

HI,

It's no used to overwrite /ect/ppp with an old one 'cos I'd done it before. Still no response to ADSL. It's very frastrating since RC2 'cos I can have it connected in RC1. What I can do is to install RC1 and upgrade to RC2 to make sure my ADSL work but still face other problems. Just a remind: don't attemp to upgrade to RC3 or 9.1, it won't work.

Normally

Ye, that what I remember also form 9.0 I had an opportunity to choose how I am connected... there it just writes that connection type - LAN. thats it.

I have gone through the wizards several ( more that 15) times tried one way and then tried other way.. made different configurations .... Nothing changes there.

So today I go home and remove the nice asscicker 9.1 and go back to 9.0. Or maybe see how RH or Deby works... Then I take out my old 6G HD and insert it into the box and install the 9.1 back to a temp HD and go on with that.

Shitt happens ... but why it has to be me, I had a welltuned and working system with 9.0 ....

You need both Lan and ASDL checked. After that you should get a warning about a firewall needing adjustment (Shorewall). Mandrakesoft has not yet mastered the link with pppoe, IMHO, but that needs to match the settings in Connection Sharing. Roaring Penguin had a utility called tkpppoe to give you a graphic control to turn the connection off and on. If you want to try it, use http://www.rpmfind.net . It may not work with the new glibc in 9.1, but you could compile it from source from here: http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/ . If your are using DCHP for a static connection, Connection Sharing should set it up automatically.

Counterspy

Is your machine acting as a gateway between your LAN and the internet?

If so, I think you need to set it up to act as a gateway.

If you are connected to both a LAN and ADSL, you should be asked which one you want to use to connect to the internet: LAN or pppoe. Just to make sure, choose expert mode when configuring?

Actually, just type tkpppoe from console root and it will bring up rp-pppoe. I still haven't figured out how to get it to see the connection, even though it is fully configured. I have been dumped into DHCP by Internet Connection Sharing and now I can't get rid of it, but I can connect to the net.

Counterspy

Guest gwayne

1) I would like to know on what ip adress your ADSL modem works. If you can ping it from the machine that connects to it.

2) If needed you can do everything by hand.

Hello Folk

for now I have a working 9.1 tha tis also connected to internet.

Thanks for many advises.

On the fresh install of 9.1 I used exactly the same configuration. and nothing happens. I got is connected with adsl-setup and adls-start , but mcc drake(whatever) mixed thing up and connection faild.

In the wizard it asks if I want to use lan or adsl for connection...., but it does not change anything....

latest conf i used in 9,0

eth0 -> serving lan with ip 192.168.1.1

eth1 -> connected to adsl modem (card ip 10.0.0.10)

Internet connection sharing on. using gateway 10.0.0.10, shorewall on.

same rules in 9,1 did not work with fresh install.

So as I menwhile degraded to 9,0 as I had some work to be done. After I had some hours spare to play again and made again upgrade to 9.1. As my fresh 9,0 isntallation was pure installation without any twaking I had no problems with upgrade. Also the connection is working now in 9,1 (as it was configured under 9,0) ...

So my conclusion is that in 9,1 the wizard just does miss some minor settings.

Klemm

excuse my poor (and buggy) language