Configuring Atheros wifi with madwifi driver

Guest flavioamf

Guest flavioamf

Hello there,

Okay, I have seen that there are few topics about the same one I'm just posting, but none of them answered my doubts of what is happening to my Mandriva free edition 2007 !!!!

Logged as root, I read the INSTALL text and it says for 2.6.x KERNEL version, there won't be any problem installing the device. Well, I have a 2.6.17-5 Mandriva KERNEL... here we go !!!!

After the make command, it couldn't find the directory where the configuration should take place, I created, so far ok...

Another make and that is the LOG error:

Makefile.inc: 91: *** KERNELCONF: /lib/modules/2.6.17-5mdv/build/.config does not exist

Could please anyone help me on how to find out a way to get rid of it ?

Do we need to find where the .config file is to be able to keep the installation running?

Thanks a lot, hope and waiting for some advice !!!

Welcome to the board!

First, ensure you have kernel-source/kernel-headers:

Open your software installer (Mandriva Control Center -> Software -> Install Software, or run rpmdrake). Once in there, search for a package called kernel-source or kernel-headers (either should do) and find the one that matches your kernel version (looks like 2.6.17-5) and then install it. You'll need it to compile the driver.

As far as the missing file, did you make sure to run ./configure before running make?

instead of ./configure you may need to do ./autogen.sh, some programs use that instead, it does a few extra steps IIRC. The files would exist in the directory you extracted the package in, if you look in there you should see either a configure.sh or autogen.sh file - although I have seen driver sources that didn't come with either.

According to these instructions:

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/FirstTimeHowTo

you shouldn't have to do ./configure before running "make". I would reread tyme's post; that error message is usually associated with not having your kernel source installed. No kernel module will compile without the kernel source.

Finally, the madwifi rpm that comes with mandriva may not be available in the free edition and it's not very good anyway. Compiling the latest madwifi driver is a better course than using the mandriva rpm IMHO.